Thread: N reg 1.7 isuzu est

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

N reg 1.7 isuzu est

Hi guys, not sure how to go about this,new member, newly aquired car.I have an N reg isuzu estate and bootlid says 1.7 tds.I'm told that it's a mk3.Have had problems with charging but after finally sticking my head under I found that the bolt is missing that holds the alt under tension.Now the bloody clutch is playing up but I've managed to get a couple of turns on the adjuster for now although the clutch pedal is now 1 inch higher than brake.Can any one please tell me which Haynes I need to suit what I've got as Mr Clutch have quoted me 190 more than I can afford. All advice gratefully received.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hi scrapper and welcome to the forum,

I have to google it every time -N reg means something like 1995 or 1996 right? Either way it is an mk3. Mine's a 1996 mk3 so could be what you call an N reg or it could P reg (TIS 2000 and EPC require the year not the UK reg plate letter), but mine has the GM engine X17DTL, your must be the X17DT.

So I guess you replaced the alternator bracket bolt and that's all OK now?

There is a Haynes manual #1222 that I gather should be good for your engine (check out ebay I;'ve seen them go for 99p) but I have never seen the manual for myself as it would have to be ordered from overseas.

TIS 2000 shows your clutch cable setup to be similar to mine and you say you've already adjusted it a couple of turns - is that as far as it will go, or is it all rusty or something? And even if you feel tha the pedal is out a bit, is your clutch actually working for now?

By the way - Info does say that the clutch pedal is supposed to be higher than the brake pedal. Also that the pedal moves upwards with inceasing wear on clutch linings...interesting I just checked and my clutch pedal is actually lower than the brake pedal.

Cheers, Paul

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanx a lot for the info paul,but so far alt is holding.Have been doing 2 jobs this last week but intend to replace said bolt when I find time.Clutch is working again so maybe I feared the worst.Adjuster thread is about halfway down.Will check out ebay in the meantime though,does this manuel include engine though?,Many thanx so far,

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hi there, Yes, I think a lot of the info in that manual covers the engine (there's a picture of the engine on the front cover). Somebody did send me jpg files of part of a chapter long time ago - I think it was timing belt change info. Since then I got a copy of TIS 2000 and work from that.

Our Astra belonged to my mother-in-law who bought it brand new back in 1996. She was going to get rid of it because she thought the clutch was gone, but it was just the cable so loose it came out of the bracket on the transmission. We got the car off her, I adjusted the cable and its been fine ever since. I looked after your post and my adjuster is more than half way, maybe 2/3 of the way along. No doubt my clutch is getting worn - car has 227,000 km.

I still have an old Jeep Cherokee in Canada and somebody sheered the clamping bolt off in the alternator body. I put on a new belt, adjusted tension by tightening everything else and it never did come loose - hopefully yours will be fine until you can get a bolt for it.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Haynes manual 1222 only covers Vauxhall diesel engines, including yours, it doesn't cover the cars at all.

Get the alternator bolt sorted ASAP. There's a vacuum pump on the end of the alternator to feed the brake servo. No servo asisted brakes isn't recommended.
    Black 2.0 DTi SXI Mk 4 3 door

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Oh well, like I said I haven't seen it for myself, just assumed it covered his Isuzu engine from the description "Covers 1.5 litre (1488cc), 1.6 litre (1598cc), 1.7 litre (1686 & 1698cc), Deisel & Turbo Deisel engines." and info I have says the Isuzu is the 1686cc.

Anyway if what you say is true then maybe he could find some other manual to cover the Isuzu engine....

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ??????????

It does include his engine, isn't that what I said? It covers the engines only, not the cars.
    Black 2.0 DTi SXI Mk 4 3 door

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Ah - I see the confusion don't you? Your post was a little confusing, but, OK, I get it.

Most people refer to the GM engine as the "Vauxhall" engine, and what I saw in your post was "only covers Vauxhall diesel engines". Looked to me like you were saying it doesn't cover Isuzus.

And with the next bit I wasn't sure whether you had missed where he said he had an Isuzu or didn't believe he had an Isuzu, so therefore it would cover his engine because maybe you figured that it was actually a Vauxhall engine.

Well anyway, maybe the main thing is that you were concerned about was that Haynes manual 1222 covers engine repair information but doesn't provide any other vehicle repair info.

Do you know of a manual that does provide addition vehicle info that you could recommend for scrapper?

Cheers, Paul

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi guys,like I said ALL info gratefully received.Am waiting delivery via ebay of a cd supposedly covering 20 different gm models + variants so will keep you posted.A friend in Mr clutch tells me its possible to do without fully pulling the driveshafts and has gave me 3 little clips to hold lining to p plate to do keyhole surgery by splitting gbox and lump just a few inches!Thanks everbody, will let you know outcome if I get that far.