Thread: burst head

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

burst head

Recently I've been getting a wobble on my steering at about seventy, so by following all advice given in previous post by others, I've checked all main steering/suspension parts. The wishbones and droplinks have been changed and there wasn't any noticeable play in the wheelbearings, but still it wobbles. After the changes, with the car on its wheels on the ground if you rock the steering back and forth theres a slight knocking from the front passenger side, could this be a wheelbearing, the trackrods seem to be OK.
    Also if this is the case that its a wheelbearing, are they the same as the astra in that you have to change the hub.
    These wheels have been balanced three times by a trusted and very experienced tyre fitter, two month old tyre and no buckles.
    Please help as I've about had enough, sorry about the essay
    Meant to say its a zaf gsi

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i had kind of same problems a while ago with mine, replaced drop links on mine as like you checked for play and damage and that was really only thing with any play.

However what else i did, was.......
    swapped the wheels about back to front, And got all 4 wheels balanced and tracked
    up 2!

Go to a tyre centre and ask them to balance your wheels up front and back, What i mean by this is balance weights placed at front in the inner of the wheel and balance weights placed at the back of the inner of the wheel, rather than all in a clump like they usually are at the back of the inner of the wheel. This is called FRONT & BACK wheel balancing, and works a treat! no more wobbles for me!
    220 B.H.P Zaffy GSi Turbo (2004)
    Live Life In The Fast Lane, Get A GSi! E: enbracefan@o2.co.uk

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It will be a balancing issue.

Get then done like enbracefan has said and IT WILL cure the problem

White is the new Black

FARMYARD TUNING

LEH IS THE FUTURE

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SRI-T Keithy View Post
    It will be a balancing issue.

Get then done like enbracefan has said and IT WILL cure the problem
    thanks for the replies, but what about the knocking noise. If you put your hand on the nsf wheel when rocking the steering, you can feel the knock. I'm just worried its a bearing, although seems to be a fairly easy fix. Any idea if they're the same as the astra

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That will be track rod end not bearing.

White is the new Black

FARMYARD TUNING

LEH IS THE FUTURE

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you will always get a slight knock anyways, as when you do when you lock 2 lock the wheel. but if a constant loud knock more than likely will be t/r/e or ball joint not bearing, If bearings fail they are noisey not knockey!!!
    220 B.H.P Zaffy GSi Turbo (2004)
    Live Life In The Fast Lane, Get A GSi! E: enbracefan@o2.co.uk

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SRI-T Keithy View Post
    That will be track rod end not bearing.
    Thinking that too, but there doesn't seem to be any play or movement in the rod ends. I might just change them anyway just to rule them if nothing else. It was cheap enough for them, before i go changing wheel bearings. I'll post up if it cures it, but wont get them til monday when the factors opens. Cheers for your input though.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    After spending a wedge o cash on wishbones and droplinks it turns out its a rod end, luckily it did need the other parts anyway as they were worn, not bad enough to fail an mot though, but peace of mind and all that. I'm just glad to be rid of the vibration, it was really doin my nut

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    so like many other posts on here the car has not been to a mechanic that knows what he is doing. The rod ends are one of the things that are checked when a car is serviced properly and given a proper MOT

Do not guess what is wrong with a car and buy this and that, get it looked at by a professional and get a proper diagnosis
    Be Happy

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jalfrezigazee View Post
    so like many other posts on here the car has not been to a mechanic that knows what he is doing. The rod ends are one of the things that are checked when a car is serviced properly and given a proper MOT

Do not guess what is wrong with a car and buy this and that, get it looked at by a professional and get a proper diagnosis
    Sorry to drag this back up but, "serviced properly"
    serviced at local vauxhall dealer four weeks ago
    "given a proper MOT"
    MOT'd three weeks ago. mot's an mot, surely.
    But neither of them picked it up "nothin wrong mate, get your wheels balanced", bunch of cocks.
    All the other parts needed doin anyway, maybe we'd all be better just paying the ripoff garage prices rather than the 90quid it cost me to resolve the problem and renewed a substantial amount of suspension parts. Just think what vx would have charged.
    To be perfectly honest I didnt pick it up and i've fixed my own car since i was seventeen, twenty five years ago. So by all means if you dont mind gettin dirty, Do It Yourself, you might save a fortune

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast