Thread: had a crash need advise???

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

had a crash need advise???

Hi im hopeing someone can give me a little, much wanted advice. i had an accident at 5am this morning no other vehicles were involved and no body was injured which is the main thing, the bummer is that after getting my car recovered and informing my insurance company i have had a look at my insurance certificate and it states im not insured for commuting which is a problem as i said i was on my way to work.
    How strict are the insurance companies with this as im getting worried now that im going to end up with a big bill and a mashed up car?

I have not yet stated to the insurance i was on my way to work but when i reported it to the police they asked me to produce as there was a gate damaged and upon producing my certificate they said it didnt cover me as i told them i was on my way to work.
    Should i try and ring my insurance and ammend the policy before the claim is processed and risk not being paid out or could i flex my story a little and say i was on my way to my friends house and we commute from there in a company vehicle any thoughts or comments would be really really appreciated as im stuck as to what to do and dont really want the insurance to refuse paying out.

The policy is with aviva if this means anything to anyone, sorry for the long post

many thanks scott
    If it aint Turbo Is got no GO GO!!!

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    all this after the problems with your newly purchased coupe, not your week mate. as you have told the police what happened and they have noted and commented on the short comings on your policy, you are best to be honest with Aviva, or it may come back to bite you later down the line and insurance fraud is a fairly serious thing, if you get caught out

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Not covered for commuting? Is it me or does that seem unusual on a car insurance policy? Surely a stack load of car owners use their car to get to and from work?

Status
    South Wales RO
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My insurance company wont give me commuting on my policy,as i'm in the garage trade....
    However there interpretaion of commuting is using the car for work purposes i.e. delivering parts etc....or commuting to a place other than ure normal place of work..

So driving to work is not an issue, in my insurance policys case....

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    There's a difference between using it for work purposes (i.e. driving to and from different places of work) and commuting to work though.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i was qsked this when i did my insurance,up to then i thought you had to get cover if you used your car for work,but was covered going to and home from work,even thought i have a company car i asked to be covered going to and from work.
    if i wanted to be right all the time i would change my title to mrs ledster

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    nry, Aviva are very specific in their policies in that they offer 'social/domestic/pleasure, but if you want commuting to and from work then you have to add this on, whereas other insurers include this. Aviva say it helps to reduce customer premiums that do not use their vehicles to travel to work and generally do less miles per annum

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi steve its actually the missus car but overall yeh we ant had much luck, The frustrating thing is that she rang to ammend her policy and gave them all the details and they wanted an admin fee when she refused to pay it they told her to do it online this is where the problem occured obviously some mistake has been made and the commuting has been taken off or something.

The police havent made an issue of the commuting yet as they were fairly decent and gave her a producer for the gate damage but thats why i said could she not say she was on her way to her managers house which is actually on route where the accident happened and she was going to commute to work from there in the company vehicle as she works out of town or would this still be seen as commuting if she was just on her way there not sure how it would be looked at.

I dont intend on insurance fraud just a few white lies to get things sorted with the least hassle possible.

As for the no commuting extra on the policy its just another loophole that everyday people dont pick up on till they have an accident and get stung stuck as to what to do for best and as ive been told in the past actually off a police officer beleive it or not, It doesnt always pay to be honest sometimes you can be too honest.

Way im seeing it at the min i F**KD either way really dont know what to do for the best!!

Status
    South Wales RO
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    There's a difference between using it for work purposes (i.e. driving to and from different places of work) and commuting to work though.
    One of my work colleagues also has the same on his insurance, he has social domestic and pleasure cover, and can also use his car for driving back and forth his usual place of employment, however they will not add comuting to his policy as he may use his car for work purposes....its odd i know but thats how it is in our cases....

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    weird???? im confused as to what commuting means now.

On my policy it just says excluding driving to and from a paid place of employment?

Does anyone think theyll buy the fact i was on my way to my friends to commute in our company car or would this be seen as commuting even though i was on my way to my friends

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast