Thread: Crankshaft sprocket problem???

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Crankshaft sprocket problem???

Got a p0340 fault code showing up which is a camshaft sensor problem which can be caused by incorrect timing. Now I have changed the sensor 3 times and still the fault shows up, I have checked timing 3 times but on the 3rd time I have noticed the crankshaft sprocket has worn the bar it fits onto, in the pic below I have marked in green how much is worn away (ignore red writing), that means the sprocket does not fit tightly it moves about on the bar, so I am guessing this is putting the timing out. Is that bar the whole cranshaft or part of it which can be removed and replaced?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thought of something, could I get some chemical metal or something and fill the hole when I have the sprocket in the correct position?

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    this a common issue of the woodruff key being worn away by incorrect fitting of the crank pulley during belt changes, the pulley suffers lash and wears away at the woodruff key. if you are very very lucky then you may able to use a special locktite compound and fix the sprocket it place, never to move again, but if the keyway is badly worn away then it will need a new crank. the force on the sprocket is sometimes too great for any form of glueing etc

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Update.

Bought some chemical metal and filled the notch in the woodruff key then pushed the sprocket back on, left to set for 30 mins, put timing belt back on fired her up and hey presto light is off. Glad to have my 4001+ revs back
    I read on another forum that a guy did the same and his is still holding after 3 years, so fingers crossed.