Thread: Zafira 1.8 EML problem

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Zafira 1.8 EML problem

Guys I have a mate with a Zafira 1.816v year 2000. He has had a recent problem develop that 3 local garages have not been able to idenitfy and have made him replace various parts with no benefit.

The car is missing slightly on idle and low revs (up to about 2k) then it clears. You can hear the misfire from the exhaust and from the engine but only just. It is also got a very slight tapping/squeaking noise from the engine bay. To the ear it doesnt sound like from the block/head itself but more like external.

The car is juddering slightly and lack of power - all the indications of a misfire. He says when on the motorway at around 70mph the lack of power goes and the car runs smooth as it always has done.

The EML is on and the follwoing codes are in the system
    P0325 - Knock sensor
    P0136 - 2nd Lambda sensor
    P0301 - Misfire Cyl 1
    P0170 - O2 sensor exhaust
    P0100 - MAF sensor
    P0110 - Intake air temp

He has replaced the plugs, coil pack and AFM all with genuine parts and had all the codes reset. They come back on within 2 miles of driving the car. One garage has checked the lambda probes and said the resistance is within spec.

I am stumped! It is all pointing towards a misfire as the intital fault causing the rest of the codes to come on? But with new plugs, coil pack and AFM I cant suggest anything else, Perhaps knock sensor? The AFM was replaced about a year ago. The plugs and coilpack 2days ago.

If I reset all the codes and disconnected the AFM then start the car obviously it will bring up a code for the AFM but is that a way of diagnosing the AFM as possible failure or will it just run crap because it is not connected. I know on my Z20LET if I disconnect it it will bring the EML on but will idle smoothly.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it'll flash up the lambda ones because there isn't enough Oxygen in the exhaust, meaning that it wont give the right reading etc

Try changing the knock sensor and see if it helps.
    I would also change the MAF & IAT as they could be faulty.

Once thats all changed, if its STILL doing it you need to find out if the injector is firing ok, if its not spraying correctly then it wouldn't atomize and burn corrrectly (causign dull missfire!) a garage will try to sell new injectors which will cost upwards of 200 sheets, you need to get them serviced which will cost about 80. they come back good as new when sent to the right place.

pull the plug and see if there is some white crust caked on as it might indicate worn valve guides, get a compression test done too as your headgasket might have sprung a leak.
    I am the South Central Co-ordinator for the MK3OC

Now have a project thread up!! [smile]Check it out[/smile] HERE

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi mate, i have various threads opened. All the fault codes you've said about are near identical to the ones i have. been having same problem since i bought car.

have replaced coilpack, plugs, gave car full service. had valve seadls replaced and getting new pistion rings done next week. hopefully that will cure it. fingers crossed. if not will get new maf and o2 sensors.