Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help.. I'm Ready to tear My hair Out !!!!!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Help.. I'm Ready to tear My hair Out !!!!!

Hi....
    Can somebody please help I am ready to start tearing my hair out, I have a 1.7 cdti van 2005, with an ecotec engine, I've had a problem with the eml for about 4 months now, and its driving me mad. The minute you turn the ignition on the eml stays on constantly. I have had three diagnostic test, each time the results are all different fault codes that come up from the maf, fuel rail, glow plugs, turbo sensor, and glow plug relay, I've replaced the maf, air filter, and the turbo sensor, but still it stays on and is in limp mode, the amount I have spent on parts and labour is creeping to around the £500 mark, on a couple of occasions over the last couple of weeks the light went out when I was traveling at around 40mph for about 5 miles, but came on again when I accelerated to 55mph and again it happened a couple of days later, when it was cold and snowing, again at about 40 and on again at about 55. that was the first time it had gone out by itself in 4 months. I have also checked all wireing conections and have also had a smoke test to test for air leaks, but nothing was found. All in all it starts first time, there are no noticeable faults it runs a treat apart from the eml on.
    I was wondering if any of you guys could give me any pointers as to what I could look at next, as I have come to a full stop, and dont know where to look next....Thanks in advance for any info.......Marty

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What are the error codes ? Have you done the pedal test?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hi Marty,

Considering that the error codes seem to be variable and apparently not pointing to the correct faulty components I wonder whether your ECU has that common problem of faulty solder joints ("dry joints").

I have heard such good things about Diesel Bob that I have recommended him several times. Seems to know his stuff and can sort out ECU issues. Howveer there are other ECU doctors around....

Good luck and keep us posted - always good to hear how these things get sorted.

Cheers, Paul

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Paul,
    Thanks for your reply and thanks for your help, I guess the next step will be to check the ecu, would you have any idea m8 where it is located on the van..? and would you know if it is just a matter of unplugging the ecu and takeing it to get it tested/repaired myself, or is it best to get a proffesional to do it...? as I understand I think they have to be "remapped" or is that just brand new ones, I'm not too sure on that, hopefully someone will kindly put me right on that, anyway... thanks again.. Marty

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi ljones60,
    Thanks for your reply, I'm affraid I dont have the fault codes at hand at the moment, the garage kept them for future reference. But as I said everytime it was plugged to a diagnostic machine it gave different fault codes. I have tried to do the pedal test, but did'nt work, as I dont think you can do that test on my year and model, reading past post on this site its a no no.. Thanks anyway..Marty..

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hang on if you've had a garage look at it why not take it back after all thats why you took it there in the first place! I'm assuming you took it to them for the problem you outline so why haven't they fixed it?

It would also appear they have changed/chraged you for parts that you didn't need ie it's still not running correctly.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Adult Content

Hi Techno,
    The garage have told me that finding the fault of the eml being on constantly can be a nightmare, not knowing alot about the problem myself, I have to trust what they tell me, they have told me it is a case of eliminating probable causes with the fault codes they have taken from the ecu, this I kinda agree with, from reading other posts on this site regarding the eml and other research I have done, I think it can turn into a big problem to find the fault. I may have been wrong to have gone down this road, as I said I have spent around £500 and still eml is on, I first posted my problem on the board to see if anyone could give me any pointers or thoughts on it before I spent any more money on it..... Thanks...Marty

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MPSMITH64 View Post
    Hi Techno,
    The garage have told me that finding the fault of the eml being on constantly can be a nightmare, not knowing alot about the problem myself, I have to trust what they tell me, they have told me it is a case of eliminating probable causes with the fault codes they have taken from the ecu, this I kinda agree with, from reading other posts on this site regarding the eml and other research I have done, I think it can turn into a big problem to find the fault. I may have been wrong to have gone down this road, as I said I have spent around £500 and still eml is on, I first posted my problem on the board to see if anyone could give me any pointers or thoughts on it before I spent any more money on it..... Thanks...Marty
    What the garage should have done was erased all the codes and then let you run it as some of the codes could have been old ones. I have a 2005 1.7 CDTI and the pedal test works without any problems for stored codes but it doesn't work for pending codes.

I understand what your going through cause ive spent about £450 on parts for my astra and I still get the EML coming on when i go over 70mph. its really annoying...

I've got myself some software and a scanner so i dont have to pay vxh to tell me what codes are stored... it didn't cost much either. Might be an option. It would be fairly difficult to help unless we know what error codes are behind the EML

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MPSMITH64 View Post
    Hi Paul,
    Thanks for your reply and thanks for your help, I guess the next step will be to check the ecu, would you have any idea m8 where it is located on the van..? and would you know if it is just a matter of unplugging the ecu and takeing it to get it tested/repaired myself, or is it best to get a proffesional to do it...? as I understand I think they have to be "remapped" or is that just brand new ones, I'm not too sure on that, hopefully someone will kindly put me right on that, anyway... thanks again.. Marty
    Hi Marty,

I own a well behaved completely mechanical Astra dinosaur (thank goodness) and my old copy of TIS 2000 doesn't cover 2005 vehicles - the latest info describes removal of Y17DT fuel pump control unit and engine control unit, both of which it says can just be removed without doing more than simply disconnecting the battery. It does say after installation to "program volatile memories" whatever that means.

If it were me I would call a few places that can do ECU repair work and get their advice on how to proceed or you could even email somebody like diesel bob. I'm pretty sure I've seen a few ads by businesses in the UK where you send in you ECU for repair (same goes for diesel bob I think). Anyway, they should be able to tell you for sure what has to be done upon re-installation.

The TIS 2000 diagram of the ECU on a Y17DT shows it to be that somewhat centrally located unit bolted onto the back of the rocker cover with wiring harness connected to it and I can see the diesel injector fuel lines from the fuel pump nearby. The removal instructions for the fuel pump control unit are vague - I'm sure I read that you get to it from under the car but it doesn't actually say so. Anyway, not sure what engine you have so maybe this is all irrelevant.

Think I've also seen ECU repair on eBay. Maybe somebody on the forum will recommend somebody....

Cheers, Paul

-------------

ah there you go good info from ljones60 with a 2005 17dti posted while I was writing my post

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Guys,
    Thanks for all the info and advice, I should have said my engine is a Ecotec Z17DTL, I have had three diagnostic tests and each time the faults have been cleared, and we have started afresh, but each time the faults are different codes, the only thing that has come up twice is the maf, which has been replaced. I was going to buy a scanner and software, but have,nt got a clue as to what I want for my model and year, that would save me some money instead of paying a garage.
    I think the way to go is now is to look at the ecu thanks to your advice, once again Many Thanks.....Marty

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast