Thread: Advise needed on a very tricky problem!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Advise needed on a very tricky problem!

Hi guys,

I'm new in town and I have a MAJOR problem! I have had my '02 Astra SRi 1.8 since July last year. Clean car, full service history. I'm only the third owner and I'm 100% certain that the car has always been looked after to the N'th degree. Every new nut and bolt had a reciept. The cam belt and relevant bits where changed in Feb 2006 @ 21,5000 as it was 4 years olg. 2 days ago, just 3 weeks over the next 4 year replacement date but at least 4,000 miles from the 40,000 mark, one of the pulley's sheered.

It's currently sitting at the Vauxhall dealership that replaced the Cam kit. They say that as it's over 4 years so it's pretty much tough luck. However, this just doesn't sit right. Can anyone shed any ideas on the subject? I know the cam belt can be flakey but to have one of the pulley's sheer??

Thanks in advance.

T

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had the same thing about a year ago in my 1.6

The large pulley that it toothed with the cam pulley just fell out of the engine block. just thought it was any old pulley for the altenator at the time, so jumped the car, an drove across town to my garage, to be asked how it even managed.

Had it sorted by them and been ok since. New pulley, cam kit, minor service and MOT £600
    Astra Mk5 1.9CDTi 150 SRi

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Cambelt kit interval is 40,000/4yrs so if it has gone from Feb 2006 through to Feb/March 2010 it's bang on the 4yrs interval.

I'd be curious if they fitted the full cambelt kit which contains new rollers though, as it's the rollers which were the problem if I recall.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just spoken to Vauxhall. All servicable parts have a one year warranty. It's the bolt of one of the pulleys thats sheered in the head. It's looking like time for a new engine....

Thanks for the replies. I'm off to rob a bank now....

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tupoar View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm new in town and I have a MAJOR problem! I have had my '02 Astra SRi 1.8 since July last year. Clean car, full service history. I'm only the third owner and I'm 100% certain that the car has always been looked after to the N'th degree. Every new nut and bolt had a reciept. The cam belt and relevant bits where changed in Feb 2006 @ 21,5000 as it was 4 years olg. 2 days ago, just 3 weeks over the next 4 year replacement date but at least 4,000 miles from the 40,000 mark, one of the pulley's sheered.

It's currently sitting at the Vauxhall dealership that replaced the Cam kit. They say that as it's over 4 years so it's pretty much tough luck. However, this just doesn't sit right. Can anyone shed any ideas on the subject? I know the cam belt can be flakey but to have one of the pulley's sheer??

Thanks in advance.

T
    Strange since Vauxhall said 8 years in the begining / 80k, the 40k/4 year isn't what they quoted originally (I thought this was for the 1.6/1.4) and that the 1.8 was changed to 60k/6 years. so I'm unsure as to how they can say "Tough Luck".
    Active - Ultra Blue 1.8 SRI 53' 3 Dr,
    Retired - Black 1.6 SXi 03' 3 Dr, Silver 1.4LS