Thread: 1.7 gm 8v engine problem

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1.7 gm 8v engine problem

hi there first off what a great forum ,i own two vauxhaulls ..both diesels ,so no doubt will be visiting regualary

,allthought my wifes astra dti will most likely be the car we attend meets in !

ok well ive owned this astra estate turbo diesel for a while its the gm 8valve diesel turbo engine , and whats been happening is i start from cold car is ok for first 5 mins

then without fail every time ,the rev counter stops working ,

engine light comes on and the car starts hunting ,or surging , it will keep doing this untill its left to go cold usually a very long time , then it will start all over again ,

i did take it to a deisel place that said they wanted 100 pounds to diagnose ,but from start he heard it doing the rev thing ,and said its most likely fuel pump and wanted 500 plus vat to recon it , i wasnt overly enthused with his diagnosis ,so i went elsewhere

they pluged it in and it came up with 3 faults , no speed signal , poss egr fail ,and fuel pump ecu fault ,but the engineer said it could be either one of them or all three ,

anyhelp would be much appreciated thanks in advance paul !

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hi Paul,

Mines an older version, a 1996 with the X17DTL so no electronic sensors and stuff to cause problems. But I'm interested in the newer models with electronic fuel pump etc and I've been learning a lot on these forums.

It would be helpful if you edit your profile so it says what year and engine you have. Looking at info I have it must be an Astra G (not Astra F) and its also an X17DTL but with the electronic fuel pump. Components sending signals include a crankshaft pulse pick-up unit mounted in the engine block sort of below the injection pump, the hot film mass air flow meter in the air intake, charge pressure sensor at the intake manifold, plus the coolant and oil temp sensors (but doesn't sound like they are causing problems).

I guess you've read some of the posts about faulty solder joints causing some problems - sometimes just needs faulty joints to be resoldered. So maybe the fuel pump ECU needs work (are you anywhere near Diesel Bob - sounds like he's good at all this). Anyway, I guess you could at least clean the EGR valve with carb cleaner. Mine just has the basic EGR valve, yours also has a EGR solenoid control valve. Check that all the vacuum lines are clean, clear and properly attached.

I wonder if "no speed signal" refers to the crankshaft pulse pickup sensor?

Cheers, Paul (in NZ)

-----------------
    p.s. duh - just googled croydon and see that you are nowhere near diesel bob, still there must be lots of other "ECU doctor" options closer to you...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    thought I better mention that I just saw the same problem (rev counter drops to zero after 5-10min, eml comes on) in an older posting on a different forum and for at least one person the solution was indeed a replacement crankshaft sensor...

is this the right part?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vauxhall-Crank...item35a06aea79

Cheers, Paul

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for that will a get a pic of engine up ,should help make things clearer, its a v reg estate and is the gm 8v turbo diesel engine with ecu attached on top of fuel pump ,
    i did undo the egr retaining clip as per the haynes manual but the egr doesnt remove from the manifold ? on my engine it sits at 90 deg on the manifold not like some at a 45 deg angle ,

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It sounds like you may have the TD Mk4 (G) I not certain what code that is. The EGR is mounted in/on the inlet manifold right hand side at the back it's controlled by vacuum via an electric solenoid it should just pull out/off some can be very tight due to carbon build up.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul dti View Post
    thanks for that will a get a pic of engine up ,should help make things clearer, its a v reg estate and is the gm 8v turbo diesel engine with ecu attached on top of fuel pump ,
    i did undo the egr retaining clip as per the haynes manual but the egr doesnt remove from the manifold ? on my engine it sits at 90 deg on the manifold not like some at a 45 deg angle ,
    Hi again Paul,

Don't really need a picture - like I said its a X17DTL generally like mine, but different in the MK4s in having electronically controlled fuel pump. Yours has a VP29 electronic pump with an ECU (or some say EDU) on top; mine's a VE mechanical pump (which I prefer). I mentioned possible faulty solder joints in the EDU, the unit on top of your fuel pump - yours may be fine, but faulty solder joints in the EDU (or engine ECU itself) is something to keep in mind.

Like I said it sounds very much like you should replace the crankshaft sensor as it may well be the cause of the rev counter signal loss and subsequent EML light coming on. I've even seen posts of exactly the same issue and subsequent fix by replacing the crankshaft sensor. It is easy to do, the sensor isn't terribly expensive (like the eBay example shown) and its certainly the first thing I would replace.

As I mentioned, the EGR solenoid control valve and the vacuum lines to it should be checked, including the rubber connectors to the unit. You should actually detach and inspect the vacuum lines and make sure there is no oil in them. That can happen when the vacuum pump leaks. As you have observed, unlike the EGR valve on the mk3 X17DTL, the EGR valve is a 90 degree angle on your mk4 X17DTL. As Techno mentioned it may just be stuck in there with carbon gunk. Maybe try spraying some carb cleaner at the junction and let it soak in a bit the try removing it again.

The reason I mentioned that it would be good to update your profile under "Drives" to say the model and year, eg. Astra G (or Mk4) 1999 X17DTL, is that then people know at a glance what car/engine you have. Its also the info needed to punch the info into TIS 2000 as well as EPC to provide tech and part# info.

Cheers, Paul