Thread: Arch Rust

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arch Rust

Hey guys, i think both arches on my mk4 may be beginning to rust, i can see no visible signs of rust, except on the arch lips (the bent under parts of the arches) theres bubbles on the paint like as though moisture/water has got under the paint and bubbled it, 1 part was there when i bought the car nearly 2 years ago, the rest has appeared fairly recently.

I'm not sure if its rust or just bad paintwork, lacquer beginning to peel or whatever, Its like with aftermarket alloy wheels where the paint corrodes on them and goes all bubbly and then just peels off to the bare metal of the alloy, it looks like that kind of bubblyness, theres no rust coloured stuff or actual rust.

Only bit of the car which has any rust is the roof rails, the parts which push down and slide back to allow fitment of roof rack/bike rack/roofbox mounting brackets into the gaps, is it common for these to rust too?

However its a 52plate (september 2002) with 85,000 miles on it, is it normal for a mk4 of this age and mileage to be beginning to show signs of paint on the arches bubbling?
    www.cruise-ayrshire.com

Scotland's West Coast Cruise Scene.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Little bubbles on the arches usually indicate that rust is forming underneath the paint and coming through. The astras do get a bit of rust on the arches althought i thought this was only on the lips.

Id take it to a bodyshop and see what there reccomendations are as it might need to be stripped back and resprayed if the rust is coming through from the other side of the arch.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    If its just on the return lip of the arch you will be cheaper buying a Dremel, Goggles, some rust killer, anti-rust primer and top coat. My Vectra's were just starting to bubble a tiny bit, but if you sand off all the rust, treat and paint it, the rust should be held off ok.
    I>< Silver Coupe ><I

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    im selling the car, just noticed it when cleaning it and wondered if its common on a mk4 of that age thats all? (7 and a half years old)
    www.cruise-ayrshire.com

Scotland's West Coast Cruise Scene.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a 1999 Mk4 sxi and both rear arches on mine are completely rusted, in fact almost rotten. my friend has a bodyshop and he is basically scrapping them and starting again but from what I gather it is really common and he usually sands them right back and cattu's them.. if that helps? x