Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to remove Microsoft Updated files once installed? One in particular.??

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Lightbulb How to remove Microsoft Updated files once installed? One in particular.??

I'm sure i turned the auto update feature off on the g/'fs PC, but it seems not. Either way, a very irritating update has installed and i suspect it's one of those akward ones that you struggle to change.

The update in question is KB949810 (i think). It relates to MS Office, of which we're running MS Office XP, but when you go into a program such as word, and select about word, it says MS Word 2002

How to remove this update?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Add / remove programs, check the box / option (depending on version of windows) for show all microsoft updates. Something along those lines, have a look you'll see it there, though ALL the various KBxxxxx's will appear...
    ShaanK. BMW E92 335i Msport and BMW E83 2.5i X3

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\8998da55d 52b36c0e98ba016ddd50de0\ folder (Assuming C:\ as your installation folder)

Extract OGANotifier.cab using WinRAR to find a file named as OGANotifier.msi

Right click on OGANotifier.msi >> select Uninstall

Block automatic update installation to avoid further installation

You are done.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    MS Word 2002 is Word XP as far as I know. Auto updates is a good thing to be honest, I am curious if this is a 'legal' copy of Word if you are looking to remove the Genuine Advantage update you mention?

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Agreed they are a good thing, but not when MS do things that decree an otherwise legal suddenly isn't

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    MS Word 2002 is Word XP as far as I know. Auto updates is a good thing to be honest, I am curious if this is a 'legal' copy of Word if you are looking to remove the Genuine Advantage update you mention?
    That's correct, Office XP is the same as Office 2002. I believe they called it XP to give it some synergy with Windows XP which was released around the same time. Also as said by nry, updates are important for the system esp if you are online a lot, they patch bugs and vulnerabilities that may have been detected after release. Your decision in the end though.

kr00zin_uk
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev_83 View Post
    we're running MS Office XP, but when you go into a program such as word, and select about word, it says MS Word 2002
    This will always have been the case as MS Office XP is MS Word 2002. It was named XP to be more in line with their Windows naming convention and have more appeal to the home market as it had some visual modifications, just like Windows XP.

For further info, check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Office

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kr00zin_uk View Post
    This will always have been the case as MS Office XP is MS Word 2002. It was named XP to be more in line with their Windows naming convention and have more appeal to the home market as it had some visual modifications, just like Windows XP.

For further info, check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Office
    So what i said :P

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffoeg View Post
    Navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\8998da55d 52b36c0e98ba016ddd50de0\ folder (Assuming C:\ as your installation folder)

Extract OGANotifier.cab using WinRAR to find a file named as OGANotifier.msi

Right click on OGANotifier.msi >> select Uninstall

Block automatic update installation to avoid further installation

You are done.
    I had a gander but i can't find the folder you mention.

You're going to tell me the folder is "right there" and i've just missed it lol.

But while on the topic, what's OGANotifier.cab? Will i have to download it?

And Chris - i'm not arguing that windows updates are a bad thing. I do use them, but when CERTAIN things install themselves automatically, it's a nuisance. Because this update is installing itself as a "critical" update automatically, i've had to turn auto-update off & update manually - selecting the updates i want.

As for the legalities of anything, we'll not touch on that topic

When i said that on Neowin, it upset a lot of net warriors. I'm hoping we have no warriors on here

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just do a search for OGANotifier.cab then - it sometimes ends up in a different folder. Once you find it the rest of the instructions are the same.

When you've installed it, check windows update as it will try to DL it again. Set your update options to "Check for updates but let me decide whether to download and install them" or whatever. If you then right click the update, you have the option to hide it, which stops it from being selected for DL

OGANotifier.cab is the update that installs the nag

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast