Thread: Is it the head gasket???

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Post Is it the head gasket???

hi just bought an astra coupe with running issues, it starts but will not rev and its asif it being starved or over fueling and just dies im going to get op com on it later so hopefully should have some codes aswell as the engine management light is on. ive took the oil filler cap and it is creamy although this could be condensation it seems a little too much the oil on the dipstick is fine. When running the engine sounds like its not compressing or running on three cylinders but as stated earlyer when you try and rev it it dies. any ideas or help to find out if it is gasket. Would the gasket cause these symptoms.

will keep you updated and post fault codes later Thankyou
    If it aint Turbo Is got no GO GO!!!

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Compresion test will let you know by at leasy one or more cylinders being well down on power.....

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey m8, Check your coolant, see if there is any mixing with oil in there, are your coolant levels dropping? give it a good sniff if it smells engine like (if you know what i mean?) this can be a sign. Also you could do the old "cardboard" test, Hold a piece of paper/cardboard roughly an inch from your exhaust and see if your getting any water droplets. This can be a sign of gasket failure, but sometimes you may get all the possible symptoms or none! . Also if thats the case and you are getting water from your exhaust, your cat can also be damaged! When you do manage to run your car, does it overheat? Also if you turn your heater on, do you get the smell of antifreeze and or any other none normal smells? Id definatly do what Coo recomended so you can pin point if you have any problems with the cylinders and which one. Further more this may seem silly but have you checked your spark plugs? I had your symptoms the other day when i checked the plugs but didnt reinstall one properly. Anyway act fast so you dont get caught short! Keep us posted with how you get on!

Andy

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Right ive had it in bits today and i have got a few issues here goes.

Ive had a look at the inside of the rocker cover lid and its thick in creamy goo but the oil looks fine thats round the cams i think the head gasket has gone but i dont know if its gone and being replaced already if that makes sence as i have only just bought the car, I dont want to replace it and the fault still be there.

Other thing is a plug on the rear of the engine in a similar position to the crank sensor on the X series engine was wondering if this is the crank sensor on the Z18XE as it has oil coming out of it when i unplugged the wire wondered if this could be the cause of the bad running.

there are NO fault codes although even when i unplugged the oily wire it was not tripping any faults thats why im not sure what this wire is if it could be for oil presure switch. Any help appreciated please
    If it aint Turbo Is got no GO GO!!!