Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Engine flush

Hi All,

Is there any merit in using a "cheap" engine oil, possibly a 10-40, for flushing purposes? I have read an account by some expert who recommends a transmission oil for cleaning purposes. Has anyone ever heard of this or indeed tried it?

I have a 1.6 8v Astra "G", (59000 miles) with the usual condensation froth under the oil filler cap. I intend removing the rocker cover and cleaning it plus checking the breather pipes. The engine is due an oil change soon. I am not a great believer in flushing oils and think this may be a safer way of "flushing" the engine prior to filling it with the recommended oil. Any comments would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yes mate thats what i wold do. put the "cheaper" oil in a 3 -5 days before you intend to put the "good" oil in.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi Ben,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I just had a thought, I do not see the need to change the old oil filter as well at this stage. Do you agree? If I just leave the old oil filter in place, drain the oil, and top up with the cheap stuff, and run it for a few days, as you suggest. Drain the oil again,then remove the old filter and replace it with a new one along with the new recommended oil. I have always been an ardent and regular user of Castrol, but from comments, here and elsewhere, would suggest, vauxhall 10-40 semi synthetic is arguably as good and much cheaper than the Castrol equivalent.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    spot on mate. i wouldnt change the oil filter until youve done the flush with the cheaper oil first. i would only use the vauxhall 10W40 semi synthetic. they reccomend the 5w30 fully synthetic, but on higher mileage (over 60k miles) it does tend to burn quickly as its a bit on the thin side. £25 for 5 litres at vauxhall.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Many thanks Ben.

Finally, do you use a cheap 10-40 semi synthetic as well for draining after 3-5days? What type do you use?

Thank you.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok this is what id do

1, run the engine warm, the drain the oil out
    2 fill to the normal line( halfway up dipstick) with any oil that is ok for your car
    ie a cheapy 10w40 supermarket semi synthetic oil
    3 after 3 days warm the engine again and drain the oil
    4 unscrew the oil filter and refit new one
    5 fill up with GM 10w40 semi synthetic oil halfway up the dipstick
    then run the engine for a about a minute or 2
    then check the level after 10 to 15 minutes and top up if necessary.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    141 Post(s)
    Quoted
    126 Post(s)
    Hiya Why not use an engine flush additive? have you any reason please? just curious tho

Paula

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    proper engine flush additive can cause problems. not too sure exactly what problems but there have been a number of people on here warning against it from past experience

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi Ben.

That's a wrap, as they say in the movies.

Many thanks.

PS.

I mentioned this non flushing agent as the expert I referred to in my earlier post, seemed to me he knew his subject and had no axe to grind, warned against flushing agents saying it could cause bits to clog up or break away and damage the bores etc. He also quoted cases where this did indeed happen. His solution was, if you really feel the need to flush the lubrication system, recommended a transmission oil. In our discussion here, we are using another semi synthetic oil instead of a transmission oil though it may not have the same cleaning effect of a transmission oil. No doubt the manufacturers of these flushing products would possibly deny it. It may possibly work, and probably does in most cases. however, I think the practice adopted here, under discussion, may be a tad longer but safer in my opinion.

Thanks again Ben for sticking with my question.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Cheapest engine flush - 3 litres of diesel and 1 ;itre of pil, run that in your engine for about 20minutes but don't put any load on the engine.

It will come out black as frig afterwards but your motor should run sweet as a nut.

Remember, diesel is a light oil and an incerdibly good solvent
    Coupe now being broken for parts
    You know the one

Enquire within

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast