Thread: Testing Crank / cam sensor

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Testing Crank / cam sensor

Can anyone please help, I have spanner light on my 2005 1.7cdti Astra.
    plug in with snap on code reader revealed crank/cam sensor problem - have removed both sensors. on crank sensor i have 840 ohms resistance ? is this correct ?

what is best way to test cam sensor please ? as I cannot get a resistance reading of any kind - not even a dead short

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Check the wiring to the sensors, if the crank sensor was u/s you would not be able to start the engine, if it is intermittant it will be throwing up a fault. The crank sensor has to produce 1 volt AC and the ECU has to see this or it will loose it's reference position. The best way to test these sensors are with a scope so you can see the wave form produced, but many times its just a bad connection to the sensor.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the info - scope's are a little beyond me, previous experience with Fiat engines - they give a resistance for thier crank sensors this gives an indication the sensor is working within peramiters i.e 250-300 Ohms.

The engine starts and runs ok just the spanner light is on - will try a cam sensor hopefully that will sort it

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I will have to check my data to give you an ohm reading value, however you should have some sort of reading as these sensors are basicaly a copper whire wrapped around a mgnet, I think you are right to suspect the crank sensor although the cam sensor won't stop you running and the running effects are not that noticable if it is shot but will throw up a light, let us know how you get on.