Thread: Can i spray my own motor??

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Can i spray my own motor??

Just wondering if its possible to get away with a good finish doing your own respray? I only want a matt black not anything fancy. Would this be possible?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It can be done but its a lot of work to do it properly. My brother is respraying his car with no painting experience, I have given him a hand but be prepared to put a lot of hours into prepping the car to get it right and also be prepared to repaint things as sometimes it might not be right the first time.

Not sure how easy/hard matt black will be though, theres a guy on here who did his entire car with spray cans in matt black and got a good finish, he has a c20let in his car but cant recall his name.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    with Matt black it can be hard to get a perfect finish much like your standard metallic and pearlescent paints, it can come out streaky or very thin so your best to take alot of time and care with the paint,

You can spray your car if you have access to a very very dry place (garage) that doesnt have alot of dust and crap kicking around, would also sheet of an area near the door so when your entering or exiting the area your working in you dont accidently kick up any Dust/Crap

if you've never painted before i wouldnt advise it, if you have done smal things and want to try your hand at a full car go ahead, i would advise practising on an old panel with the colour you want to use to try and get the best finish possible,
    Stanceworks.com.... Low IS a Lifestyle

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would just use aerosols for matte black mate, no need for a nice finish with that.

If it was me using my compressor and gun I would use a black base with a clear coat that has matting agent in it, that way you can maintain it much easier.

If your looking to just paint it to hide dents etc then use aerosol, it will look shockingly bad I think, but if it's what you want go for it

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers for the rapid reply.

Its something for the pipeline really, but i would be prepared to take the time needed. You will have to let me know how your bro's is going/gone. Be nice to see some home spray work

EDIT: Wow you guys are quick. I wouldnt want it to look shockingly bad....lol. Its not looking promising really then. I havent done any spraying other than one wing before....

Any ideas on how much spray shops charge?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    For a reasonable job around £1100, for a good job £3000 bud.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My brother is almost finished, it should be ready by next weekend.

Finish has came out pretty good but is a bit scratchy, a good machine polish should sort it out, he did plenty of coats of paint so has a lot to work with.

He had a lot of problems with the paint reacting as the car had been sprayed before and very badly at that.

I started a thread on it to show the progress but my brother hasnt taken any pictures in a while, he also had a break for a month or so over christmas etc.
    http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...celica+respray

Theres actually more pictures on the celica forum if you sign up to it, Ill transfer them all over once hes finish though.

PS, thats me holding the parts, wearing those masks isn't comfortable!

Sorry for all the pictures, I didnt realise my brother had updated it with all these pics.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    red wall tyres FTW!!!!! lol
    Looks a very good job from the pictures bud,
    Stanceworks.com.... Low IS a Lifestyle

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skipz View Post
    red wall tyres FTW!!!!! lol
    Looks a very good job from the pictures bud,
    Wheels are being changed back to the standard 15s and painted white anyway so no big deal.

Its a lot of hard work, the actual painting isnt too bad and pretty enjoyable, its the stripping and preping of the car that is very time consuming and boring.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    dude, how much would it cost you in rattle cans,

youd become halfords best customer,

id just save up mate n get it done properly, you can get a blow over for around £600, they wouldnt do your door shuts or engine bay at that price though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast