Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MK3 question about inlet manifolds. Help please!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy MK3 question about inlet manifolds. Help please!

Hi,

I'm replacing the cylinder head on my astra as my current one is cracked. I have managed to get hold of a new cylinder head and asked the scrapyard for the inlet and exhaust manifolds to be left attached. Unfortunately I am not the expert and when the guy who is fitting it for me came around about an hour ago to have a look at it he told me that the inlet manifold was from a carburettor system and my car is injection. The question I have is, are the inlet manifolds interchangeable? Can I remove the carburettor inlet manifold from the replacement head and attatch my injection inlet to the replacement head?

I hope this makes sense. I would appreciate any input anyone can provide me with, I was hooping to have a working car again by the end of tomorrow but sadly now I'm not so sure anymore

Thanks

Daniel

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Erm,

More info please however if your talking MK2 then it would make sence. (the MK3 never had a carb engine) however Carb/injection aren't really interchangeable, from what I was told when trying to use a Carb head on an old SPI head the ports are completly different. The carb ones have bigger ports compared to injection heads.....

HOWEVER if your talking about a different, later model, then there is no carb heads, however there is an SPi (single point injection/CFi) head and an MPi (Multi Point injection) head/inlet, which are again not interchangeable.

You need to get another head chap
    I am the South Central Co-ordinator for the MK3OC

Now have a project thread up!! [smile]Check it out[/smile] HERE

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Colonel-White,

thanks for the quick reply. I think you have answered my question. Looks like the scrapyard has given me parts from an MK2 instead of MK3 so I'm going to have to go back to them. I'm concerned that they are going to refuse to take back the one they provided with me today or attempt to charge me extra because they will have had to remove 2 cylinder heads. Perhaps they misheard me on the phone when I said Mark 3 and they thought I said Mark 2.

Answer me this, and I know the answer is probably the obvious but I just want to make absolutely sure. I told him on the phone it was single point injection. That would definately indicate that it's not a carb head I was after, correct? SPI refers to the fact that the engine is injection and not carb, right?

Thanks again

Daniel

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Daniel,

Yeah they'll do that, unfortunately it sounds like your guy has got himself mixed up with his inlets, it could be possible that you in fact have the correct inlet.

Get someone to double check it and go from there. You are correct though, SPi refers to Injection not carb head.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The inlet is definately carb, no doubt about that and the head it's attached to, if what you say is correct, will not take my injection inlet. I'll hopefully get it sorted and let you know how I got on. I definately said single point injection to him on the phone so he's obviously got confused somewhere along the line.

Greatly appreciate the advice

Daniel

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry mate but its REALLY hard to get the 2 mixed up coming off the engines but they do look similar when off & bare, you really should get it double checked before you go spending more money.....

Ok, here is something that you can check yourself, is there a sensor/threaded hole on the inlet manifold on the left side?? If there is it IS spi.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    SPI inlet looks like a carb although it isn't
    How Tos . Parts For Sale
    The two most life changing experiences you'll ever have. Finding Jesus, and having a baby.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, just called the scrapyard and he's adamant that the one he's provided is SPI and that we will be able to swap the inlets round so that we still use my current one, so it just looks completely different from mine! I guess the only way to find out for sure is to try!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Right, had another look and something just isn't right, sorry for my ongoing ramblings. I've taken pictures of both which should hopefully clarify things. I'm almost convinced the scrapyard has given me MK2 parts.

www.realistix.co.uk/mine1.jpg
    www.realistix.co.uk/mine2.jpg
    www.realistix.co.uk/replacement1.jpg
    www.realistix.co.uk/replacement2

Hope this clarifies things. On the plus side, the guy at the scrapyard said if it wasn't the right one he's be able to sort something out.

Thanks

Daniel

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It does clear all things up.

You dont have an SPI engine. Simple as that. this would be why its so different.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast