Thread: Elongating Strut Holes For Camber

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Elongating Strut Holes For Camber

I will be putting my jamex shocks back on with some 30mm eibach springs in the next week or so and I want to get the camber etc set up properly, I know you can get camber adjustment bolts but would assume that elongating the holes is a much better way to do this and does not sound all that difficult to do?

Is it just a case of taking a dremel to the hole and making it longer so there is more movement in the strut, also which one do I need to do, top or bottom?

I have seen it mentioned a few times but seems to be very little information about it.

Thanks for any help.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Use an old fashioned round file & some elbow grease.
    2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my coilovers have elongated holes on the bottom.
    Castle Combe Saloon Car Championship. Car 21, pug 106 GTI. Gone from track days to full on racing

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers! Will give this a go at the weekend, hopefully shouldn't cause any issues and make it a lot easier to get the camber correct.

Also just realised I posted this in the wrong section! Whoops!

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    In ways the camber bolts may be easier to adjust once fitted vs the elongated hole, but the hole is obviously the cheaper option

How you getting on with the tuning book btw?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    In ways the camber bolts may be easier to adjust once fitted vs the elongated hole, but the hole is obviously the cheaper option

How you getting on with the tuning book btw?
    Did the place you took your car to have any problems setting up camber using the bolts? This was something I was worried about. That I will take it to a place to get the camber sorted and they might struggle because of these bolts, I have a set sitting in the boot of the car but I didnt really like the look of them, I know they are actually stronger than the original bolts but they just look so thin in comparison!

Fitting my Eibach springs on sunday along with the jamex shocks and I am hoping it works fine, the eibach springs feel so much better compared to the jamex ones, you can just tell they are a much better quality spring and I am hoping its the same on the road.

To be honest I haven't got that far, I got as far as carbs, skipped that chapter and started on fuel injection but I think its going to be next year before I get a chance to do it anyway as more important things to sort out, didn't realise I would be so busy with the new house.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    No issues using the bolts, when I took the car in to check if they could do the work I told them about the bolts and they said that was great.

If money permitted I'd jump for some Eibachs and Bilstein shocks, or some decent coilovers...but it won't permit

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No issues using the bolts, when I took the car in to check if they could do the work I told them about the bolts and they said that was great.

If money permitted I'd jump for some Eibachs and Bilstein shocks, or some decent coilovers...but it won't permit

Thats cool, I might just fit the bolts then and save any hassle with elongating, what setup did you go for in the end, fast road or just standard settings?

I didnt notice much difference between the jamex springs/shocks and the standard, handling seems about the same and comfort is about the same, only problem was the front bottoming out and scraping all the time if there was more than just me in the car. I am looking forward to trying out the eibach springs.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Standard spec however it isn't bang on but is within spec.

My springs are a huge change from OEM, more so with the shocks fitted too, I suspect the Eibach springs will be supple at low speeds but should hold up well in corners better than the OEM ones.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Standard spec however it isn't bang on but is within spec.

My springs are a huge change from OEM, more so with the shocks fitted too, I suspect the Eibach springs will be supple at low speeds but should hold up well in corners better than the OEM ones.

I dont think I noticed much difference because of the RARB, it really is a brilliant modification and I still havent tried out the hardest setting, gonna wait for the warmer weather before I do that. Car handles great its just the huge gap in the arches that annoys me, not sure if the 30mm springs are gonna drop low enough but I hope so, once I add all the sound deadening for my sound install it should be low enough

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast