Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

astra mk 4 1.6 gearchange issue

first of all, hi all! just registered with the site,

ive got a 2001 mk 4 1.6 8v (z16se) and recently the gearchange has felt crap compared to what it used to. it goes into gear and when its in performance is fine, just doesnt feel that good at times, abit rough and clunky and not so smooth, other times its totally fine. so far ive changed the gearbox oil, put mollyslip gearbox treatment in and i even got a "powerflex" insert for the front engine/gearbox mounting which was designed to make gearchange silky smooth on the mk 4. needless to say i took it out as it caused alot of vibration and done nothing for the gearchange. i dont know if its anything serious or not, just want it to feel as good as it used to. only other thing is i was in the engine bay the other day and i reached down the back of the engine and gave the gear linkage a good shake! got in the car and the gearchange actually felt great. it didnt last though. any thoughts?

cheers. craig.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    im no pro but maybe grease your linkages up cant think of anything else that you haven't mentioned other than maybe your clutch is on its way out....sure there are ways of checking

Status
    Going Topless!
    Drives
    Astra 1.8 Twintop, Lotus Carlton, Meriva VXR and Nova
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Gear linkages are prone to wear.

The "cups" that the linkage sits in are plastic, when they wear the gear change become sloppy. Not something you notice over time, until you have the problem above.

5 bits are needed. (I'll get you the part numbers tomorrow). You can buy them seperately and not the whole linkage assembly which is £150ish.

Gear linkage will need removing, the bits swapping over and then refitting.

I've got the bits here to do it, i'll do a How to when i do it.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    trust me if its an f17 box on your 1.6 they are absolutely pants mine wouldnt go into first or sencond got that fixed and then it popped out of first but mine started out as being rough so this is purely a warning and u may have something completely diff but if this happens do not take it to vaux just buy a new box

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its an f13 thats in mines. its not felt so good since about last summer so i cant reely put it down to the recent cold weather. id like to think if it was the clutch or the gearbox that was at fault then it would have been buggered by now after feeling uncomfy for such a period of time. i was looking on ebay and i see that you can get a corsa c gear linkage repair kit. didnt see anything for the astra g.

can the gear linkage inside the car be worn aswell ?

Status
    Going Topless!
    Drives
    Astra 1.8 Twintop, Lotus Carlton, Meriva VXR and Nova
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    The bits you need.

90442265 - Socket Balls (Cups) with seal x2
    90250169 - Protective caps x2
    90250156 - Gear shift control rod

The Control Rod doesn't need replacing, but the one on your car will be plastic and the above part number is the superseded metal one, so worth it while you're doing the job.
    You may want to get new split pins too.

Will all come in at under £35 from your local Vauxhall dealer.

The only possible wear you'll have on the gearstick is the plastic ball, if you lift out the gearlever panel, and wiggle the gear stick from side to side you may notice a bit of play. Could be worth replacing your lever, but won't be your problem with selecting gears.