Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought car--Hope it's a good move!!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Bought car--Hope it's a good move!!

I got sick of the motorcycle theives in E. Manchester. So I've now bought myself and the rotty a nice sensible astra 1.7 turbo. My bike insurance was £130 fully comp for 125bhp--160mph bike. The car --JESUS! £560 fully comp with the extras and over 12 payments neARLY £700. I'm told that that is cheap for someone with no no-claims bonus. Don't have much money so I hope I've made a good move! Anyway--the car is lovely, new brakes, tyres service 11mths mot etc air conditioned. It's a 99 model in vgc--99,000m and looks and runs like new. First ever deisel car. What important thaings do I need to know in order to avoid trouble? Can't seem to get mileometer to 'light up' and why does it have a pull-out nob next to it. Thankyou folks!--Nice to 'meet'!--Chris.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds like a good buy to me. Like they said its not a bad price for not having any no claims bonus. Pretty good i say. Sounds like quite a good car too.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    im paying 1100 for a coupe T with no no-claims discount so i dont think thats a bad price

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The couple I bought it off (wifes car) didn't speak much english,--I think he was trying to get me to appreciate the work he'd done on the car but I was just saying yes-yes-yes--pretending to understand. After hearing my financial circumstances, they dropped from 995 to 850 (only 2 weeks tax left) but everyone seems to be saying 'well-done'. It does make you feel better. Better start learning a bit about deisel engines eh?! Oh!--By the way. what a web-site! It's like the Arndale centre! Tryingt o find my way around but JEEZ! Some peeps are really fanatical about these cars and some of them look marvelous!!

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    any pics of it?
    Astra Sold! Now its back! Sold Again! Who knows whats going on!

Currently Running MK1 1.8 MX5 with LSD awaiting boost, and a Red UK DC2

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it sounds like you got a good car for the price, any pics of it yet?
    On diesel engines, they have a tendency to sound pretty rough on a cold start, but once they are warm they are fine. you will notice that the heater may take an age to get up to temps, this is normal and it might not be as hot as the equivalent in petrol car. I also pressume with it being a '99 model it is the DTi engine rather than the older turbo diesel's.
    Probably the ONLY Astra Mk3 sitting on Corsa D SXI rims!
    And Now a Diesel on Discs all round!

http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=162503

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    re mileometer not lighting up, is it just the milometer or the whole speedo?

there is a "switch" down by the main light switch ,that rolls, check that its not set to dim....

if its just the odmeter, could just be a bulb out...

hope this helps
    1.8 excluciv convertible '06 (silver lightninig)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds like a good car get some pics up
    Carbon Black Astra Coupe Turbo

Stage 2

The Car:

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by captpicard View Post
    re mileometer not lighting up, is it just the milometer or the whole speedo?

there is a "switch" down by the main light switch ,that rolls, check that its not set to dim....

if its just the odmeter, could just be a bulb out...

hope this helps
    Not re-examined yet-but that's the most logical explanation so far. Everything lights up except the milo--Will have a mess in the dark. Cheers!--PS --will get some pics up asap--but cybershot is not cybering properly. Do you want to see my last bike?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'll Try!--SC16 (Model Number)

.Not a clue--how do you post pics--attachments? Try this---99 Astra 1.7 turbo deisel, 99,000 miles, 11months mot (2weeks tax), Dark metalic blue, central locking, air conditioning, origional stereo (with controls on wheel) --Philips400???- new tyres including spare, all origional docs and service history, just serviced, new oil, fluids, filters etc, new brake calipers (and disks by looks?) Compomotive alloys. Owned by car clean owners wife just got new Merc. Nice and clean and smells like HMQ bathroom. Feels and drives like a new car (but I've not had car for years). BAD POINTS--SOMETIMES DOOR KEY REMOTE DOESN'T WORK (New key battery?)--1 inch paint chip over rear wheel arch. Seller wanted £995 and I got for £850 after honest poverty plea. (didn't have any more!). Looks luvly---love to knowwhat people think! Am learning much here--many hanks to all!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast