Thread: New car

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

New car

Hi guys, am new here (girlfriend has just bought a 55 reg astra 1.7cdti sxi) and i've got a few queries. Any help much appreciated.

Essentially, its got 72k on the clock, and i've advised her to get the timing belt and tensioners done as, depending on which vauxhall literature you read they need doing on this at either 60k or 80k on the Z17dth.

I gather that the 1.7 can be a slightly agricultural sounding but have noticed that, at least when cold, it sounds particularly clattery over 3000rpm. She's only had for a week and only used a few times on the 5mile work commute, so not sure at this stage if it goes when warmed up, but was just wondering if anyone had any ideas. I was thinking possibly the belt tensioners but not too sure.

The other thing I was wondering is whether there are any other bits that would be worth potentially looking to replace while its in. Have read in a few places that the aux belt and water pump may be worth getting done.

Last thing is that the aux belt seems a little squeely. Specifically it sounds like it may be the bearings of the thing at the top front most section of the belt (ie:- front left as you open the bonnet). What is this? I got a haynes manual which appears to neglect it completely. I kinda though possibly power steering pump, but not sure.

Sorry for the questions, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    "Last thing is that the aux belt seems a little squeely. Specifically it sounds like it may be the bearings of the thing at the top front most section of the belt (ie:- front left as you open the bonnet). What is this? I got a haynes manual which appears to neglect it completely. I kinda though possibly power steering pump, but not sure."

It won't be a power steering pump, they are electrically driven. It will be the AC compressor

They are a little agricultural. I dont drive mine above 2k rpm until warm.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hextal View Post

I gather that the 1.7 can be a slightly agricultural sounding but have noticed that, at least when cold, it sounds particularly clattery over 3000rpm. She's only had for a week and only used a few times on the 5mile work commute(...)
    Hi,

I like this "slightly agricultural sounding" description . Until warm that is correct.

But quesiton I got is - for 5 mile work commute - why do U need to go above 3k revs?? This is mildly saying overkill.

15/20 mins (can any1 correct me) of drive is needed to get engine warm and untill then I would avoid going above 2.5k revs (just saying from own experience).

Let us knwo MPG of this car on such a short journeys.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers for the replies

Under 2-3k? Blimey..

I've not really driven diesels much and I get that more damage is done to engines when cold, but sub 2-2.5k for 1st 20 mins sounds fairly severe.

Is this a diesel thing or something specific to this engine? Must admit that i've only owned petrol cars/bikes, and i've always allowed them to warm up before taking them anywhere near the high revs, but never restricted them to that kind of level.

The 3k+ revs is due to having to pull out onto a couple of dual carriageways from side roads, so you need to gun it a bit to get up to matching speeds, or wait for a long long time.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers for the replies

Under 2-3k? Blimey..

I've not really driven diesels much and I get that more damage is done to engines when cold, but sub 2-2.5k for 1st 20 mins sounds fairly severe.
    I was not clear - meaning was - keeping constant revs around 2.5k. When overtaking/changing gear I will go more than that.

(..) and i've always allowed them to warm up before taking them anywhere near the high revs, but never restricted them to that kind of level.
    Above 3k+ revs engine is too loud for me in lower gears.

Regards

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ahhh - phew!!

Cheers for that, I was getting worried there.

Definitely agree on the noise front in 1st and 2nd.

In for an engine flush and belt/tensioners tomorrow, will see if this makes any difference.