Thread: AF17 Gearbox - Knackered or not?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

AF17 Gearbox - Knackered or not?

Hi,
    In December 2009 I purchased a 1.8 '04 plate Astra with AF17 box which has covered only 52000 miles. Unfortunately, for me, the radiator failed leaking coolant into the box resulting in call to warranty co. to arrange repair.
    They replaced the radiator and attempted to flush the contaminated oil from the box by filling, working through the gears and then dropping the oil. Told by repairing garage 'would need to flush again in a couple of weeks'. After one week of getting the car back the same symptoms appeared, gears slipping when idling for a while and not selecting gear.
    After further call to warranty co. told they do not cover 'consequential loss' they believe coolant has damaged the box and therefore not liable.
    When speaking to Vauxhall contact (parts dept & a trained Technician) was told recall was issued from Vauxhall on similar cars that were still under manufacturers warranty and instructed to replace box also due to fact not all coolant can be removed.
    I have flushed oil with 9litres of fluid, although only about 7litres removed ??, to try to remove more of coolant but still suffering same symptoms when hot. Would the box be knackered in such a short space of time with coolant in or could it be due to repairer not refilling with correct amount (as shown by amount of contaminated fluid removed) ???
    Either way is the box goosed or can it be salvaged and if so how?
    Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Status
    Hulk smash!!
    Mentioned in
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    kadir24uk, I moved your post into a new thread on its own

Here...

http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=366508