Thread: drop links

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

drop links

hey yall..........what is the purpose of the droplinks dat are attached to the front shock absorbers on the astra mk/4? the drop links on my astra keep snapping completely in half sumtimes...an thats with normal driving. the garage told me that the droplink on the astra was badly designed and served no purpose on the car an that i shud not bother to replace it. how true is this statement? i tink everytime my droplink snaps my wheels go out of allignment tho.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Near Portsmouth....... Drives a Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That is utter Tosh and if they told you that you need to go to a different garage.

The purpose is to attach the anti roll bar to the suspension.

I have never seen them snap but they do wear.

Are you replacing the broken ones with genuine or cheap copies?
    The truth is always the truth even if you haven't realised it yet...

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    as lee gsi, what utter rubbish for a garage to say such a thing. they are not the best of design due to the material used that's all, you would have to be doing some serious 'off road' style driving to snap them unless the replacement ones are cheap copies. ask your garage to disconnect them and take the car for a drive and see how it handles then. they are there to control body roll and front suspension flex to a small point and without this, cornering would be very vague indeed. have a drive of an early corsa 'b' without the anti roll bar then you will understand better

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Both Post are correct droplinks connect to the anti-roll bar without the droplinks the anti-roll bar is just a metal bar fitted to the car that does nothing,droplinks transfer the lateral force onto the anti-roll bar. And the post below explains it better than i could.

A stabilizer bar tries to keep the car's body flat by moving force from one side of the body to another. To picture how a stabilizer bar works, imagine a metal rod that is an inch or two (2 to 5 cm) in diameter. If your front tires are 5 feet (1.6 meters) apart, make the rod about 4 feet long. Attach the rod to the frame of the car in front of the front tires, but attach it with bushings in such a way that it can rotate. Now attach arms from the rod to the front suspension member on both sides.
    When you go into a turn now, the front suspension member of the outside of the turn gets pushed upward. The arm of the sway bar gets pushed upward, and this applies torsion to the rod. The torsion them moves the arm at the other end of the rod, and this causes the suspension on the other side of the car to compress as well. The car's body tends to stay flat in the turn.
    If you don't have a stabilizer bar, you tend to have a lot of trouble with body roll in a turn. If you have too much stabilizer bar, you tend to lose independence between the suspension members on both sides of the car. When one wheel hits a bump, the stabilizer bar transmits the bump to the other side of the car as well, which is not what you want. The ideal is to find a setting that reduces body roll but does not hurt the independence of the tires. HTH
    You Might Be Able To Piss Over Me But I'm Not Going To Roll Over And Lick My Lips While You Do It