Thread: ABS / Speedo problem

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ABS / Speedo problem

Just recently I have developed a problem with the ABS/speedometer. The ABS light initially started to light up temporarily and then would disappear. Now it is constantly on.

Also, now the speedo doesnt work. But only intermittently. Sometimes it will work straight off from ignition, others it will not work. If it works from ignition, it will work until I switch off the engine.

The speedo doesnt blip at idle.

I have read on here that I can check the ABS sensors/connectors. Where abouts are these and what do they look like? Ive looked behind the wheels already and up in to the arches and found a couple of thin wires that had connectors but was unable to move these to respray with WD40.

Are these the wires/connectors that Ive seen mentioned?

Thanks!

EDIT: Ok, I am getting an error code of 2108 on the flashing enging light, but on the little LCD, it shows 210870. Any ideas what this means?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just checked the error codes and I think I wittled it down to one of the following:

U2108 CAN bus, no communication with ABS (anti-) C-003
    U2108 CAN bus no communication with ABS / TC C-003
    U2108 programmers / Replace control unit (SG) hardware and software B-003

How do I know which one it is? And how do I correct the issue? I recently replaced the headunit and did have it connected the wrong way for a while, so I think maybe that has something to do with it. Is CAN bus a wire I can replace, or do I maybe have it wired wrong behind the radio??

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    It's possibly the ABS sensor on the front passenger side hub.
    Vauxhall like to use it as the sensor for the speedo pulse as well as the ABS.
    From your codes it might be the ABS controller. Might be worth clearing the codes & seeing what it throws up again.

If it is the sensor the only cure is to replace the hub assembly. Have a look on ebay for an "SKF" made version, these are the same as Vauxhall supply, but at half the price.

CAN Bus is a communication wiring system used throughout the car.
    Unless you cut off the original head unit plug & tried to wire something else in you will be all right.
    2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    How do I clear the codes?

Also, I connected a ground wire to the ignition live before realising it was wrong

Just gonna take out the new HU and see what happens. BRB

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just tried unplugging the radio and same problem. The speedo now definitely does not function correctly

I guess its a case of booking it in to Vx to see what Ive screwed up? Any other way I can ascertain definitively what is wrong (i.e. the ABS controller or sensor?)?

How do I clear codes?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Take the front passenger wheel off. Behind the brake disk you will see a wire going into the hub. There is a plug. You might need a little flat srewdriver to open the plug slightly and pull it of. Clean it and spray it with wd40. That sensor is for your speedo and abs and known for that water gets inside. Might save you a fortune. The codes as far as I know can only be deleted by vauxhall or any garage with a tech2 computer. Disconnecting the battery also helps somtimes on the mk5 to reset codes or reset curtain settings. Try the fron wheel first mind.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks all, I'll take the wheel off tomorrow morning and report back my findings!

Anything specific I should look out for while rooting around in the hub? Can I tell for myself, if the sensor is knackered?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Not a lot you can see, unless the cable is unplugged, connections are corroded or a cable is cut.
    2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Decided to just take it in to Vaux to see what they think. Ive tinkered and buggered about already and its cost me by the looks of things.

Roughly how much should I be looking at if the ABS controller needs replacing?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well I have it booked in for thursday.

I took the wheel off and had a look at the connector, but it was fine, no water or dirt inside the connection. Im guessing I've buggered the controller?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast