Thread: Unhappy ZLET :-(

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Unhappy ZLET :-(

No guessing what wrong guys, i just need you all to feel my pain :-( my Dad was driving my car over to Germany, when he suddenly lost all power on the M6 in the roadworks, he managed to get it over in the cones, and get the AA out to it. When they turned up, they said that the timing belt had jumped a few teeth. Ok no worries.

Got the car back home, i flew from Germany to fix it, rather than put it in a garage. Stripped all the timing gear down, and found the water pump had collasped and caused the cams to skip.

Replaced the water pump and timing gear, and got it all timed back up. Car started 1st time

But it kissed a valve or 2 on cylinder 4, and kinda misfires, lol.

I'm about to take the head off and send it off for a skim and valve work, and then get it re-fitted tonight, so i can drive the car back to Germany tomorrow.

Wish me luck.

Pictures to follow.
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiegman View Post
    You know me so well and not even dinner, a movie and some flowers Tony. What sort of man do you think I am!!!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thats bad luck, but you must have got the timing belt a tooth or two out to cause it.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    more like 16 confirmed bent valves. I don't get timing wrong! and neither does my Dad.

Got the head off yesterday morning, and into the machine shop who replaced all 16 valves, skimmed it, and pressure tested it in 2.5 hours, head went back on last night, and will be ready to run 1st thing in the morning.
    You know me so well and not even dinner, a movie and some flowers Tony. What sort of man do you think I am!!!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That is bad luck!! Hope it all runs smoothly tomorrow!
    For free hugs PM me.

For sex, pm cabriomatt.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Might be a good idea if you turn the engine over by hand before you try and start it!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BurrTony View Post
    Thats bad luck, but you must have got the timing belt a tooth or two out to cause it.
    Even if the waterpump collapses?? Somehow i dont think u can justify your reply with that .

These waterpumps are known to collapse so he just had bad luck this time round .

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    have you got it up and running??? water pumps on this engine are shit to be polite! dam unlucky it just gave up! was it noisey or did it just give in with no warning signs? hope you got it going!
    At the end of the day, it gets dark!!!!!

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    was a slight noise from engine, thought it was noisy lifters, had a water pump and belt all ready to replace for when the car got to germany as i wasn't to sure when it had last been replaced. Turned the engine over twice by hand, all timing marks line up, just putting the oil return pipe back on from the turbo, as i fit my nice new turbo from TT, with the twin seals n 360 degree bearings, as it was rude not to whilst the old turbo was off.

So, so far its had.......

New headgasket, and complete new headgasket set.
    16 new valves
    Head, skimmed, crack tested and all nice and shiny.
    Uprated turbo from TT
    New Coolant
    New Timing Belt
    Water Pump
    Rollers, Tensioner
    Engine oil
    Using old engine oil filter as its only covered 70miles, and the oil was rather clean when we dropped it
    New head bolts.

Think thats it so far. Gonna get this pipe on, turn it over to get oil through it, tighten it up, then go for a start to confirm the timing belt is tight enough, once thats done, add finishing touches, start up, leave ticking over until the cooling fan kicks in, check it all for leaks, and then take it for a road test, not taking it above 3000rpm and not boosting it above .2 bar for at least 500-750 miles

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D4nnyGsi View Post
    Even if the waterpump collapses?? Somehow i dont think u can justify your reply with that .

These waterpumps are known to collapse so he just had bad luck this time round .
    astra_dave said in his first post,

"Replaced the water pump and timing gear, and got it all timed back up. Car started 1st time

But it kissed a valve or 2 on cylinder 4, and kinda misfires, lol."

Which sounds like the valves were bent after changing the water pump and belt etc

He later says all 16 were bent, I dont believe there is much chance of an engine starting with 16 bent valves! so it must have happend after fixing the pump etc and starting the car.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    yes i understand what you was saying there mate, my bad description, sorry to all, trust me all valves were bent, only a tiny amount, but still bent none the less, only the worst 2 caused it to misfire.

Done the job, and drove to germany last night, 730miles. think its run in yet? lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast