Thread: Been charged by a hotel even thought I cancelled...Help?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Been charged by a hotel even thought I cancelled...Help?

Hey guys.

I made a reservation with the Belvedere Hotel (NYC) back in October for the 18th-24th February 2010. I cancelled the reservation using their 'Contact Us' form on the website sometime in November.

I just checked my bank account and they have taken £138.65 without my consent. On their website it states:

CANCELLATION POLICY: All cancellations must be done on or before 5PM EST on the day before arrival (24 hours prior) to avoid a no show charge equal to 1 night room rate and tax. PLEASE NOTE: As a result of recent legislation, the New York City Tax Authority, the NYC sales and use tax will increase from 4% to 4.5%. As of August 1, 2009 the total tax on NYC hotel room will be 14.75% plus the flat fee of $5.50 per day. This tax will be imposed on all existing and new reservations as of August 1, 2009.
    All reservations require a valid credit card number and expiration date in order to guarantee your reservation. Your card will not be charged unless indicated in the cancellation policy above.
    Now seeing as I have given them more then 2 months notice, I shouldn't of been charged at all.

Does anyone know where I stand? The money is long gone, and it's too late to call my bank, can they do anything about it?

I have sent an email to the hotel explaining the situation, but I doubt the greedy buggers would care...

Please help

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    You should get your money back. Did they email you back to confirm they had received your request and cancelled the room?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No, I didn't recieve any emails or anything. Not even to confirm the booking in the first place.

I would of called them, but it would of cost an arm and leg to cancel the reservation that way. If it was a problem with their website where would I stand?

I really hope they do refund it, it's not fair at all...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Is it a credit card transaction? if so your bank can issue a chargeback for the funds, if its from a debit card unfourtunatly its upto you to get it back from the hotel

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It was a debit card I wish I had put my Barclaycard through instead

I used that card as I don't use the account and would only put what I wanted to spend in there when I went. Now I bank have authorised it to go through when my balance was exactly £0.00. I only have an overdraft of £10 on that account. Surely they shouldn't of let it go through...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Even a visa debit card as the same protection as a credit card, call your bank.

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maskell View Post
    No, I didn't recieve any emails or anything. Not even to confirm the booking in the first place.
    Hmm, they might not refund then as if they didn't get the message they could claim you never cancelled. Being from a 'contact us' form, I would guess you have no proof of sending the message either

Maybe they will do it as a good will gesture, otherwise pestering your bank might get them to pay it back.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I am going to ask them prove that I DIDN'T cancel, that should shift any blame over to them.

Thanks for all the replies. Lee can I really do that?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes you can.