Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Near Portsmouth....... Drives a Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Laptop battery not charging?

A friend of mine asked me to find out why their laptop battery wasnt charging (Just the orange charge light but no charge goes in). It was an old laptop so just told him it was probably just an old dead battery.

Someone else has also just had the same problem on a Novatech laptop but bought a new battery and its still doing the same.

Any ideas why they wont hold charge at all and the orange battery charging light just flashes?
    The truth is always the truth even if you haven't realised it yet...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Drives
    1998 R Reg MK4 Astra 1.6 16v LS
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    can you turn it on with the power lead in? if not it is the charger (even if the lights on the charger say it is working) as i have the same problem and awaiting a new charger

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lee gsi View Post
    A friend of mine asked me to find out why their laptop battery wasnt charging (Just the orange charge light but no charge goes in). It was an old laptop so just told him it was probably just an old dead battery.

Someone else has also just had the same problem on a Novatech laptop but bought a new battery and its still doing the same.

Any ideas why they wont hold charge at all and the orange battery charging light just flashes?
    Clean the contacts between the where the battery connects to the laptop, should be sort of spiked or square contact points when the battery has been removed.

Also before you use a battery, before switching on a laptop you are supposed to charge it to it's full capacity. Not sure this would completely break the battery but would contribute the breaking of one.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The AC/DC adapter. Thats what was wrong with ours which sounds like it had same issue as theirs.
    For free hugs PM me.

For sex, pm cabriomatt.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Some laptop chargers output 2 voltages on the same two wires, eg 10v when you dont want to charge the battery and 16 when the battery is to be charged.

Its so you can use your laptop plugged in on a plane where its illegal to charge batteries.

These chargers all have a button on them to select the two modes. I think it was HP/Compaq where I first saw this setup

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Near Portsmouth....... Drives a Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    They both work fine when plugged in but as soon as you unplug them from the mains then turn straight off.
    The truth is always the truth even if you haven't realised it yet...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well thats not same issue as mine had so may not be AC/DC adapter, as ours just ran out of battery and couldn't recharge it and wouldn't turn on.

A mate had this issue though, he said its because they allways had it plugged into mains when using it. He hasnt had his fixed though so can't say what needs replacing.
    For free hugs PM me.

For sex, pm cabriomatt.

sxi lee
    Quote Originally Posted by iansimms2004 View Post
    Well thats not same issue as mine had so may not be AC/DC adapter, as ours just ran out of battery and couldn't recharge it and wouldn't turn on.

A mate had this issue though, he said its because they allways had it plugged into mains when using it. He hasnt had his fixed though so can't say what needs replacing.
    what you described is a very common problem mate. happend to mine and my partners. its where the cable brakes up inside due to constant movement whilst plugged in.