Thread: Tweaking firefox back to how i had it before the format. Having bother

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Tweaking firefox back to how i had it before the format. Having bother

I'll just copy & paste what i posted on neowin (to explain the references to neowin in this post....

I had to format the HDD and now my settings have gone & firefox doesn't feel the same.

Problem 1: tabs

Right now i've got neowin open.
    If i open a new tab & load up say, eBay, the order of tabs will go Neowin>eBay

Now before the format, if i right click>open link in new tab (no matter whether it'd be neowin or ebay in this case) it would be the end tab (in other words the order would go neowin>eBay>newly opened page)

HOWEVER

Now, it depends on the site i open the new tab from with the right click.

Using the same scenario above, if i open a new tab from eBay (right click>open in new tab) that's not a problem - it'll go the the end of the line

Yet if i open the new tab from within neowin (right click>open new tab) then the new tab will be wedged in between the neowin tab & the eBay tab, so the tabs then AREN'T in the order i opened them in.

Minor i know, but quite annoying & i can't figure out how i was able to NOT have this before the format

Problem 2: online forms - facebook, banking etc

I could have a host of username/passwords saved for a site. Take online banking for example.....

In the username field, i (before the format) had usernumbers saved for me, the g/f, the mother etc etc (all above board i must add). By default, my own usernumber would show automatically, but if i......

1. deleted this out of the field
    2. THEN double clicked the now empty field

a list would then appear of previously entered/saved numbers (doesn't have to be numbers, could be a list of email addresses if you use facebook as an example) would appear and i would just pick one that i wanted to use

The previously entered/saved password would then automatically be entered to go alongside the appropriate username

SINCE the format, the only entry that will save is my own (i.e. the first one i entered after the format). It wont save a list .......... just one entry.

Hopefully enough of you will have been able to keep track throughout that & be able to offer an answer

So ..... anyone able to help?

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    get an extension called "Tab Mix Plus"

its ace. you can tweak every setting imaginable to do with tabs. where they open, in what order, if they are focused or not focused, links that open up in a new window can be made to open up in a tab, change the text colour, loading bar colour everything

waaaaay too much to list

give it a go

EDIT: Linky

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    i know i didn't have that before, so it's not the same as last time, but if it works then it works. I'll have to give it a whirl.

any idea on the other problem, or anyone any idea on the tabs issue as i'm sure i didn't have this installed last time round?

Will post back once i've ran that for a while

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    +1 for tab mix plus. I hate using Firefox without it now.

Main benefit for me is it saves tab history. So if you close a tab by mistake, middle mouse button click on the tab toolbar and it re-opens the last tab you closed. It saves them all, so you can just keep clicking and each one you have closed will re-open.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I've sorted the order of tabs being opened

but the progress bar being in the actual tab is irritating.

That'll teach me o do proper backups in future.

how do you get around the page loading bar being in the tab?

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev_83 View Post
    how do you get around the page loading bar being in the tab?
    Can see an option for it, never found it a problem. Handy if your loading a page on a forum with lots of pictures, can leave it loading and quickly flick to another tab, and then see when it finished without having to keep checking