Thread: advice for old P-reg TD and new V reg 1.6i 16v (scrapping, value, fixing..?)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

advice for old P-reg TD and new V reg 1.6i 16v (scrapping, value, fixing..?)

Hi all

Could anyone give me some advice about my old astra, and hopefully my new one!

I have had a old (P reg TD) astra for 3 years, and he has finally died. I couldnít get it it to start after some journeys and now it wont start at all. Sometimes it would start hot, other times it wont start when cold, I leave it for an hour, then it does start! I have taken the fuel filter off and it isnít squirting fuel in, so i guess i have a pump, electrical or air hole problem! (its the Vauxhall engine btw)

So.. I have decided to get a newer astra, and have my eye on a V 1999 Mk 4 reg 5dr 1.6i CD. (3moths MOT and TAX).

So advice - what should I do with the old one? Just scrap money or try and sell it - or repair?

And what kind of price is fair for the new one? Its up for about £1300 which after looking on auto trader is a bit much i think.

Iím really annoyed the old one has dies as i put a new CAT on it 2 years ago, and new tires on it for its mot in Dec, which it passed.

Any advice about my astra-limbo would be great.

Thanks.
    poolz50
    poolz50

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    hi there your old astra realistically is worth about 150, the diesel pump may have failed, if its got tax n mot it may be worth abit more, id be tempted just to cut your loses and scrap it! go see the new astra, seems abit pricey but would depend on condition etc, id offer them 900 for it but even then id say thats top money for a v reg car. but it all really depends on what your after sir
    1.6 8 valve, 5 door, soon to be a 5 studded let with crusty arches

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ebay it..let someone else take it away....
    1.8 16v 99 T plate.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Scrap the P reg, Buy the V reg - Anything worth keeping?

@greenmini:
    Thanks there. Yeah i think i might just cut my losses, cars seem to be scrapping for close to £100
    atm. I am going to offer 850 for the new one, and hope they will listen! If not I will keep looking.

@buster:
    Thanks, i just
    dont know what someone would want from it. I put it in the local paper as Breaking/
    repair and go no answers!

Does anyone know if any parts transfer between the cars - maybe the wheels and
    tyres?
    poolz50

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

brown/white foam in oil

Well I went to look at the V-Reg, and refused it as the oil was like a foamy cappuccino. I think this can indicate a head-gasket problem. She also would not go below £1000 so i have to keep looking for my astra!

Now all i have is a dead one on the drive.

p50
    poolz50

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra Van 1.7 DTI
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Any requirements for the new astra? As mentioned you could stick the old one on ebay as spares and repairs.

Mark

MK4 Astra Van 1.7 DTI Sportive

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

moving on to astra's new...

Well i am quite dull, i would like the Mk4 As i think they look smart, and hopefully not the entry level one. I want mid to large petrol so its not too slow, and with a goot bit of MOT left.

If overall it lookes smart i wouldnt mind a few dents, I just want to put in great soundsystem and go to work not looking like a hobo!

I have about about 900 to spend, so i just hope to get as much as i can for that money!!!

.... i guess i need to hit auto trader hard!

p50
    poolz50