Thread: Wing Mirror glass gone: what do I need?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wing Mirror glass gone: what do I need?

We came out of the house yesterday afternoon, and the door mirror (that was there at 9 A.M) was now mssing... in broad daylight!!! It was in a quite secluded driveway but it is still over-looked by 2 terrace houses.

Anyway, I've looked on the net but what has me confused. What bits do I need to fix this?

I don't know if I just need the glass or if there's a (black) plastic part as well.

Can anyone help? Ceers

p.s has someone stole this or broke it? How easy are they to remove? We didn't find any glass and the whole thing has us scratching our heads as to why and how.

Thanks for the help

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just the glass needed mate it clips onto the motor

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Is this the part? If I get 'the glass', will I recieve everything in the below image? If so, I think I know how it works.

Tell me, are they easy 'to loose'? I mean do they fall out? or has someone removed it?

Listen, I really appreciate the help.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have heard that they do fall out. But if you are sure it was there the night before then somebody must have nicked it.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbirdxx View Post
    I have heard that they do fall out. But if you are sure it was there the night before then somebody must have nicked it.
    No, it went between 9am and about 3:30 pm (in daylight!) and it had been snowing the night before, so she would have seen footprints around the car if someone took it. She said she never seen anything, but I think the snow was going a bit by then.

But at 9am, I had to give it a wipe with the sponge side of the window scaper to get the snow out of it, that's why I know for definite it was still there.

Honestly, it has us stumped: you can't drive it without mirror as when you look out the passenger side at junctions, your eye goes to the big black thing bottom right of the window [the mirror without glass]

and as I say, someone taking it in daylight just seems... brazen... and there was no footprints or finger smudges on the dirty plastic surround.

I want to ask how you remove them but...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just to update this: I got a 'clone' mirror from worldcarmirrors on Ebay. It looked like the orig down to the black line, metal clips and the 1mm gap around the edge of the glass and the plastic backing. It was heated but that bit was surplus to requirements but it still worked. £22 & 2 postage.

Car looks great again now.

The back of the mirror plate in the image above is wrong for an Astra (vauxhall?) The back of the plate has a circle that fits over the adjustment thing in my orig image. It then has 8 clips that fit over it and keep it on.

I don't know how anyone could steal one of these without breaking the glass... I've seen someone say it's possible by pushing the bottom in, putting your fingers in the gap at the top and pulling evenly. I don't buy it... that would mean the backing plate would need to flex and I thik that'd crack the glass. Anyone?

I can only think Vauxhall didn't fix it in properly when built and when i removed the snow that morning, I did push the mirror about so I think I've dislodged it.

Fitting:

The advice is to just align everything up and then push evenly in the centre.

But I had a hard time pushing these 8 clips over that circle and I feared being too heavy handed. So what I did was put the backing plate in a dish of hot water. I also put a bit of grease on each clip to help as I pushed it on. The hot water softened the clips enough so that a gentle push was enough.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i can get these for £15 posted pm me if interested