Thread: How to replace a broken X17DTL (-98) to an older (-97) w/o crank shaft sensor?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How to replace a broken X17DTL (-98) to an older (-97) w/o crank shaft sensor?

I had a major breakdown of my X17DTL -98 diesel engine. As I'm in possession of an older (-97) Astra engine with low running miles, my plan was to replace the broken -98 engine with the older -97 engine. The faced problem is a r.p.m. sensor that takes impulses from crankshaft in the X17DTL -98 and the older -97 did not have that sensor. Anyone knows a way around the problem? Is it possible to take the signal e.g. from the flywheel? What about the ECU, will I face problems there too?
    Saludos, Matts N.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hi MattsN,

Now that sounds like a bit of a challenge. Mine's the '96 X17DTL (and I must say I am happy with the simpler, old fashioned system). I gather that the ECU for the '98 depends on the signal from the crankshaft sensor for correct fuelling etc, and its questionable whether a different sort of rpm signal would suffice - but who knows, maybe its not so critical.

On the '96 the RPM signal is delivered from the green wire off the alternator, possibly the same on your '97. I wonder if that would suffice - signal wouldn't necessarily be the same and you sure wouldn't want a loose alternator belt! Maybe a signal from the flywheel is a better idea but don't know how you would set that up. Maybe somebody else has done this sort of thing and will provide a solid answer, or at least a suggestion.

But do you still have the ECU that belongs with the 97 engine or just the engine itself? I was thinking it would be best to swap everything over from the 97, but I now think you are saying you don't have the older ECU.

Anyway, good luck and keep us posted...

Cheers, Paul

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Paul S. You are right, I don't have the 97 ECU, only the engine itself. Even when the type of signal from the alternator is the same, I think it's not reliable to use... specially winter time, as we can have temperatures down to -35 deg.C. :-) If I just could find out the type of signal, I think it may be realistic to use the flywheel.
    Matts N.