Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eingine light on dashboard lit up?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Engine light on dashboard lit up?

Hi

The engine management light on the dashboard lit up in our car on Saturday morning. It's a 57 reg. Astra 1.6. The car was loud and struggling to rev.

We called the AA who diagnosed a problem with a coil and said we shouldn't drive but towed us to Vauxhall as he said the problem would be covered by the 3 year warranty.

Today Vauxhall called to say it is not covered by warranty as it is an electrical problem, and anyway warranty is invalid as it hasn't been serviced (another problem there as service light was on from the beginning but we didn't service it as they said it had just been done, we've had it since about May 2008 so I guess it is overdue now, but we forgot Think it was 40 000 mile service?). They are now charging us "reduced price" of £440 for repair and service. My husband ok'ed this 40 mins ago then rang me to see what I thought. I said that it is too much, ring them back, he did and they said they had finished the work - £440 worth of work in 40 mins?!!!

So what do you think? Is it a coil or electrical problem? Does cost sound ok? I feel like we are being ripped off!

Appreciate your help, thanks.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sounds like you are being stung. I changed the coil pack on my partners renault and although i get parts at trade it still would have only cost about £80.You have to remember that the garage would be charging about £40 per hour and will have a set time for changing the coil then turning the light off on their computor add that with the over priced gen part and they can charge you what they like.oh and they proberly charged you for diagnostic time aswell.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my othe half had a coil pack go on her fiesta RAC changed it there and then and cost around £100 if i remeber correctly.
    Mk5 2.0l turbo sri. now dead
    but riding around in a mk6 2.0l cdti sri

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks. Unfortunately we are not sure if it is the coil now as the AA man said it was, but Vauxhall just said it is electrics - we are waiting for call back with breakdown of costs and also to discuss service/warranty. Yes, I'm sure they will have charged for diagnostics, they charge £70 just to plug it in! Crazy.

The thing is we would have had the AA man tow somewhere else if we thought we had to pay as we know it is expensive at Vauxhall. But he was so sure it was covered by warranty!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Targetvs ........40 pound an hour,thats cheap,we charge 100 at ours and a z16xep/xer coil is more expensive than that and depends on what parts youve had changed in the service and initial diagnosis being minimum of 0.5 hrs labour.

Find out exactly what electrical fault and what has been changed
    "WHATS THE RETAIL ON ONE OF THOSE?" "MORE THAN YOU CAN AFFORD PAL . . . .888

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Your dealer sounds like there being funny as if it was a coilpack fault,they coulda just said you had service history(used descretion) and put it through warranty,because its not like they pay for it,its vauxhall gm who pay for it

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Flippin eck...prices have gone up abit scince i worked in a main dealer lol.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITE CHOCOLATE View Post
    Targetvs ........40 pound an hour,thats cheap,we charge 100 at ours and a z16xep/xer coil is more expensive than that and depends on what parts youve had changed in the service and initial diagnosis being minimum of 0.5 hrs labour.

Find out exactly what electrical fault and what has been changed
    Thanks, we're waiting to hear back but now they have our business, they'e strangely not so worried about calling us!

How can any garage charge £100 an hour?! I work from home and charge £15 per hour!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I know,100 pound an hour is a joke,considering i only get a tenner of that 100 per hour

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITE CHOCOLATE View Post
    Your dealer sounds like there being funny as if it was a coilpack fault,they coulda just said you had service history(used descretion) and put it through warranty,because its not like they pay for it,its vauxhall gm who pay for it
    Yeah, but have bought two cars there, taken them and others there for service/repairs and not once have they been helpful in any way! They seem to be out to get what they can and not look after their customers. I will kick up a fuss tonight when we collect it anyway, as I just can't see how they can repair the car and do 40000 service on it in 40 mins and do the work properly!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast