Thread: Astra G Engine Management Light - Help? :@

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astra G Engine Management Light - Help? :@

Hi everyone, fairly new to the astra fold, only had mine since 15th Jan!
    (1.8 astra sport, 1998 mk4)
    (103,000 on the clock and a new cambelt at 99,00)

Recently noticed the engine management light occassionally flickering on with a slight lack of power.

Today coming out of the petrol station the engine management light came on and wont go off. The power seems to have dropped dramatically, literally 60% of the power has gone, accelerating is impossible and the engine suddenly sounds like a dirty diesel with a slight knocking noise.

Ive checked the oil, air filter (changed a few weeks back), the maf sensor and the radiator. Everything seems fine.

Any idea's what to check next?

Thanks in advance!

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its gone into limp home mode thats why theres no power, check lamber sensor after cat and clean it
    Astra Gsi full miltek catback , tx enlarged top hat and boost pipe with Baileys dump valve , cdti air box

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers.

So get the lamba sensor checked first of all?
    Quote Originally Posted by coupepaul View Post
    its gone into limp home mode thats why theres no power, check lamber sensor after cat and clean it

vauxcoupe
    [QUOTE=coupepaul;2169451]its gone into limp home mode thats why theres no power, check lamber sensor after cat and clean it

if its an xe18xe model theres no lamda sensor after the cat and just the one before the cat try that as mine was changed recently when i replaced my exaust,failing that check your egr valve? i did a check by buying a blanking plate and take the motor for a run. while your at it give the throttle valve a clean and am sure one or mabey two of the above problems will sort your motor.

ignore this as a didnt read carefully and just noticed youve said 1.8 sport, but follow if its similar as most 1.8 are same as.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    [QUOTE=vauxcoupe;2169478]
    Quote Originally Posted by coupepaul View Post

if its an xe18xe model theres no lamda sensor after the cat and just the one before the cat try that as mine was changed recently when i replaced my exaust,failing that check your egr valve? i did a check by buying a blanking plate and take the motor for a run. while your at it give the throttle valve a clean and am sure one or mabey two of the above problems will sort your motor.

ignore this as a didnt read carefully and just noticed youve said 1.8 sport, but follow if its similar as most 1.8 are same as.
    Sorted the problem - Had a oil leak towards the spark plugs (seal)

One of the sparkplugs had literally fallen apart, the end had crumbled

vauxcoupe
    good stuff and glad you got it sorted.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

engine light on due to new sport exhaust

hi there

i have today put a sniper exhaust on to my astra mk4 1.4 16v and i dove about 30 miles home it was all fine sounded great. i went back outside to go out started it and went about 100 yards and the light come on. Does anyone know what this might be??

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackmk4 View Post
    hi there

i have today put a sniper exhaust on to my astra mk4 1.4 16v and i dove about 30 miles home it was all fine sounded great. i went back outside to go out started it and went about 100 yards and the light come on. Does anyone know what this might be??
    what year is the astra?

you have most likely disturbed the position 2 oxygen sensor