Thread: 1.7 Turbo Diesel Isuzu engine number location

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1.7 Turbo Diesel Isuzu engine number location

Does anyone know where abouts I will find the engine number for the 1.7 Turbo Diesel Isuzu engine fitted to the Mk3 Astra. It looks like It might be needing some new glow plugs soon again and I know I started a thread on something similar a while ago. There are two types and according to the NGK website it depends on the engine number which type of plug will be fitted. However before anyone says, just get the same as what is all ready in, it might not be that simple, because they may well be the wrong ones.
    Probably the ONLY Astra Mk3 sitting on Corsa D SXI rims!
    And Now a Diesel on Discs all round!

http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=162503

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hi Turboshed, the info I have says for your engine it should be embossed into the cylinder block on the flange to the injection pump. The picture suggests you should be able to see it easily enough from above...

Hey I just looked it up on the NGK website and it lists the same glow plugs (CY03) for the 17DT and the X17DT. The others are for the X17DTL like mine or the non-turbos..

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers Paul, you are a star, when it comes to this stuff mate, you honestly are. Oh and although I'm hijacking my own thread, still not managed to sort the radiator fan problem out, changed the resistor too, but I think its a wiring fault there.

I will either have a look later, via torchlight, or in the morning, since its Saturday tomorrow. I've had a look on the V5 (registration certificate) but the number doesnt really correspond easily

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    lol, thanks for that, just faffing about on the computer early mornings in our hemisphere and I've learned a lot while doing so. Wish I could get parts and prices you can in the UK, oh well.

So according to the NGK website the Isuzu 1.7DT engines use the ceramic type glow plugs whereas the X17DTL like mine use the non-ceramic type.

I'll take another look at your thread regarding the rad fan...did you already test for rad fan function by bridging the points in the connector that goes to the thermoswitch?

Cheers, Paul

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul.spencer View Post
    lol, thanks for that, just faffing about on the computer early mornings in our hemisphere and I've learned a lot while doing so. Wish I could get parts and prices you can in the UK, oh well.

So according to the NGK website the Isuzu 1.7DT engines use the ceramic type glow plugs whereas the X17DTL like mine use the non-ceramic type.

I'll take another look at your thread regarding the rad fan...did you already test for rad fan function by bridging the points in the connector that goes to the thermoswitch?

Cheers, Paul
    Some prices are all right in the UK, others not so. Heh early mornings eh. I have a friend over in Auz, who has a Commodore VY IIRC with the 5.7 LS1 engine, now thats a sweet car!

There are two types for the Isuzu engine though, one is ceramic, like you say, the other is metal or something. Checked this on the NGK website, though the later is the more expensive item £12.33 each I have been quoted plus tax, the ceramic ones are £6.62 plus tax.

And yes, I did bridge the terminals on the fan, the fan itself does work, even after replacing the resistor, when I changed bumpers did not cure it, so its definitely a wiring fault, not sure if its the same section of loom that has caused the drivers side side-lamp not to work (but has been crudely repaired in the car's past)

****EDIT****

Just had a look Paul, and the only number I can see at the back of the engine anywhere is the one on the inlet manifold

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboshed View Post
    Some prices are all right in the UK, others not so. Heh early mornings eh. I have a friend over in Auz, who has a Commodore VY IIRC with the 5.7 LS1 engine, now thats a sweet car!

There are two types for the Isuzu engine though, one is ceramic, like you say, the other is metal or something. Checked this on the NGK website, though the later is the more expensive item £12.33 each I have been quoted plus tax, the ceramic ones are £6.62 plus tax.

And yes, I did bridge the terminals on the fan, the fan itself does work, even after replacing the resistor, when I changed bumpers did not cure it, so its definitely a wiring fault, not sure if its the same section of loom that has caused the drivers side side-lamp not to work (but has been crudely repaired in the car's past)
    Ah well, if there has been some sort of crude repair job up front, then as you say it sounds like it must be a wiring fault.

Strange what you say about the glow plugs as the NGK website I'm looking at only lists CY03, the ceramic glow plugs, for the 17DT and X17DT, not the metal type. Maybe you're looking at a different NGK website, but I wouldn't have thought it would make any difference. Anyway I would definitely go for the ceramic type (better and cheaper anyway!).

Cheers, Paul

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ah well, if there has been some sort of crude repair job up front, then as you say it sounds like it must be a wiring fault.

Strange what you say about the glow plugs as the NGK website I'm looking at only lists CY03, the ceramic glow plugs, for the 17DT and X17DT, not the metal type. Maybe you're looking at a different NGK website, but I wouldn't have thought it would make any difference. Anyway I would definitely go for the ceramic type (better and cheaper anyway!).

Cheers, Paul

This is what the NGK Uk website lists for our engines. I was asking for engine code, simply because it means I have to use one or the other and something to do with CY03 plugs have been replaced by Y603J

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    The number should be stamped into the metal of the cylinder block on the left side of the engine fairly near the cambelt cover - try standing on the driver's side, lean over look around just behind the cambelt cover towards the back of the engine (left of the oil filler cap between intake manifold and cambelt cover). Could be obscured by some wiring or whatever...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboshed View Post
    This is what the NGK Uk website lists for our engines. I was asking for engine code, simply because it means I have to use one or the other and something to do with CY03 plugs have been replaced by Y603J
    Interesting - definitely different than the general european website where it only lists the ceramic CY03 and dioesn't suggest the metal alternative. Like I said, I would install the ceramic as they are supposed to be more robust, heat faster and are cheaper as you have found.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The number should be stamped into the metal of the cylinder block on the left side of the engine fairly near the cambelt cover - try standing on the driver's side, lean over look around just behind the cambelt cover towards the back of the engine (left of the oil filler cap between intake manifold and cambelt cover). Could be obscured by some wiring or whatever...
    Cheers Paul, will look tomorrow, wasn't 100% sure where to look, and the torch wasn't brilliant. Now its started to snow as well, so deffo staying indoors now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast