I wrote this guide for removing the EGR on a 1.7 CDTI for another forum a while ago and thought that some of you on here may be interested.
1. Remove engine cover
2. Remove air intake manifold as this will make access easier
3. Remove charge air pipe which is connected to the top of the EGR housing and into the back of the engine block
4. Remove the battery and battery support bracket as this gives access to the bolts holding the EGR in position.
5. Remove throttle valve body by detaching the air hose at the front of the engine, remove the wiring harness plug and unscrew the 4 bolts.
6. Disconnect wiring harness plug from EGR-actuator
7. Detach the Coolant hose, the EGR cooler hose (circled) and unscrew the 4 bolts circled in the photo.
8. Remove EGR-port
I forgot to take a photo of the EGR valve removed however i have found one on the internet so i have added it below so you know what it looks like.
This EGR seems to be a sealed unit and doesn't come apart like the EGR for the 1.9 CDTI EGR. To clean it I used a hard toothbrush and a can of carb cleaner.
I have produced this as a guide as there doesn't seem to be one for the 1.7 CDTI engine however I accept no responsibility for any injury or damage sustained whilst removing/changing the EGR when following the above info.
Hope this helps