Thread: Can't update headunit firmware via bluetooth. Help needed.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Can't update headunit firmware via bluetooth. Help needed.

the headunit i have is the Alpine CDE-103BT running the 320 firmware.

Problem i have is it sometimes connects to the phone, sometimes doesn't. I'll go to take a call & i can hear it coming through the phone when it should be coming through the speakers, and then the next day it'll be working fine, without anything done different

I figure a firmware update to 360.

I just can't get the laptop to connect when it's needed.

Laptop in question is: http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_Ext...87/version.asp which if i believe right, possibly doesn't have bluetooth hardware installed, even though it has a bluetooth slider on the front

not to worry .... i bought a bluetooth USB stick thing off of eBay last year.

(it came with no installation CD btw)

Using bluesoliel version 5 (as it downloads quicker than version 6 and it's being awkwardly slow)

I stick the USB stick in, and pair it with the headunit, so it must surely be working SOMEWHAT

Follow the instructions in the pdf http://www.alpine-electronics.co.uk/...te_1_00_EN.pdf

When i get to step 9 (page 6) it says no bluetooth devide detected & wont let me update

Yet there has to be a bluetooth device or how else would i be able to pair FFS!!

Anyone?

EDIT: Reason i posted it in the chit chat forum was because the actual issue is a bluetooth connectivity issue or possibly even a PC/usb hardware device issue & not so much the headunit being "the" problem. That's why i never put it in I.C.E.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Nobody? I can pair with the unit and phones from the laptop, but i just can't go thruogh the update stages as it says no bluetooth device,

Any computer buffs frequent the ICE forum?

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    I guess when you pair your phone up you have to enter a 4 digit code? Is this code always the same and have you had to enter it into the computer?
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Yeah pairing isn't the problem.

The code remains the same. I've set it so that it never asks for authorization. It pairs, it just wont go to the next step of the update process.

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Just going through these processes because i've had problems with parrot phone kits before where they use a different code each time

Can't offer anymore help
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I've tried this on a Kenwood unit, and nothing but WinXP would work. Unsure if this is an issue for you or not though?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Interesting thought

I'm trying it on a Vista Home laptop

He has an XP laptop, but the battery is on its way out & lasts about 20mins, so i'd have to be quick

Will try that before i open the £15 bluetooth stick i bought yesterday :|

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Tried WinXP Home - no joy

Bit of a lead, on moneysavingexpert forums of all places.

On the pdf, i didn't notice it mention specific OS's

WinXP Home & Win Vista Home Basic were not mentioned, but were the 2 i used.

I can't see what difference it makes, but i wonder if that's the cause as to why i can't upload the bluetooth update via bluetooth (yet i CAN pair).

1 OS that's listed is WinXP Pro SP2. I have SP3, but i don't know if it has to be specifically SP2.

I've emailed Alpine asking if these silly specifics are likely to cause the hold up. I'm not holding out for a reply from them.

Basically, (it's too late to do it today, but...) i'm wondering if i can load a copy of WinXP Pro SP (either 2 or 3) into Virtual PC on the Vista laptop & try and update via bluetooth using that. Not sure if it'd work or not.