Thread: Going to the Big smoke on Saturday, need hotel recommendations

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Going to the Big smoke on Saturday, need hotel recommendations

Due to a change in work plans it means I can go to a wedding in London. The wedding is in Brixton, and we are are going on the evening. So we will have Saturday day and Sunday day to have a look around London, maybe do a bit of shopping.

Any ideas on where the best area or hotels to stay for good location? We have booked a tube pass, so getting about should be fine.

Looking for a cool hotel thats not a run of the mill Ibis, holiday Inn type of place. Tried late rooms, late bookings etc and there is so much crap and we have no real idea on what ares will be good to stay.

Even if we can narrow it down to a part of london that will suit us, would be helpfull.

cheers
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it all depends how deep your pockets are, theres lots on bond street and mayfair area, claridges is 5* but its £255 a night for 2 people
    G t c

soon!

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I will pay upto £300

Currently looking at Malmasion or St James Hotel and Club

Its more the location for easy travel to Brixton on the night.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Why don't you ask Mr Cloke? He should know just about every good hotel around mate

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I stayed at the Hilton Metropole, nice hotel and only a 2 minute walk from 2 tube stations. One for the bakerloo line other for the green + yellow lines (district and circle? )

Dunno if you would class the Hilton as a run of the mill chain though, each one is different. BTW I have no idea where Brixton is, so don't know how close it is to the above hotel, which is located near to Marylebone, about 1 or 2 stops on Bakerloo line.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    For Brixton you are going to want something in the West End - take northern line to Tottenham Court Road, then can go most places quite easily.

As for hotels, not really sure to be honest, only ever stayed in one hotel in London, paid £90 and got a sofa bed - were so drunk though, a bed was a bed!

Leicester Square is always a nice place to visit. If I go to London on a weekend (don't make a habit of it being there 5 days a week), we usually head Leicester Square for food. Got China Town at back of L.Sq, plus there are plenty of places in L.Sq itself, i.e. Yates, Pizza Hut, Chiquitos (defo recommended), plus many other places.

A walk along the river is a must. We like to get off at Westminster, and walk along the Embankment heading back towards the city. Another nice walk Ash and I have done recently is tube to Westminster, then walk down White Hall, past Downing Street and down to Trafalgar Sq, through onto Mall, and up to Buckingham Palace.

Both are nice walks when it is getting dark, watching all of the lights coming on. I myself prefer the walk we did with the EA guys the day after Thorpe Park. Got off at Westminster, along the Embankment to Blackfriars, then up through city, via St Pauls to Barbican where we had parked.

Personally, if I were you, I wouldn't bother with the square mile, i.e. the city itself - unless you want to go and see lots of buildings and office blocks. Not much goes on, and quite literally is dead on weekends.

Sorry I couldn't be much of a help on hotels, but hope the above is useful if you fancy a walk!
    Astra sold ... replaced with a Skoda ... soon to be replaced with another Vauxhall

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    what you want to matt is look London Marriott Hotel County Hall
    near the Tube 2 mins walk over the bridge or 2 mins the other way to waterloo underground
    parking is fine near the hotel they have a car park over the road

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    have only ever stayed in hotels in Park Lane, but at works expense after christmas do's. Will have a chat at work tomorrow and see if i can get any ideas for you.

oh and as has already been said stay away from the city, all you get there at a weekends is lost tourists and workmen.
    Mk5 2.0l turbo sri. now dead
    but riding around in a mk6 2.0l cdti sri

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I work in the city a lot so know how dead it is at the weekends - however i quite like it that way.

Booked Malmasion now as Sarah was getting itchy feet about it Should have thought to ring Clokey

Cheers for the help

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by MatG View Post
    I work in the city a lot so know how dead it is at the weekends - however i quite like it that way.
    What part of the city do you work in Mat?

I must admit, I prefer the city at weekends, simply for fact its quieter, and much much easier IMO to get places.
    Astra sold ... replaced with a Skoda ... soon to be replaced with another Vauxhall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast