Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just wanted to ask a question before i go and buy an astra!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just wanted to ask a question before i go and buy an astra!

Well i sold my car today and i am going car hunting this weekend. i am a complete dumbass when it comes to astras atm so dont laff at any of the questions!

Because of the insane insurance prices in the area, im not willing to pay 262 pound a month third part fire and theft on a 1.6 16v so i can either buy a 1.4 16v or a 1.6 8v.

The 1.4 16v's seem to be hard to come by so i just wanted to ask about the 1.6 8v's. I have asked a few people at work and they have told me they are insanely slow.

1. Bearing in mind im coming from a 1.1 peugeot 106, will i be happy with the performance increase?

2. And is there a huge difference in the 1.6 8v's speed and the 1.4 16v's ?

3. And finally im all up for a bit of modding (nothing major just things like exhaust, changing air intakes, the easier stuff) Will i be able to up the power of a 1.6 8v by throwing a couple of hundred into it, making it just as good as the 1.4 16v and maybe the 1.6 16v?

Thanks for your time
    Luke

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cant compare as i have never driven a 1.4... but i reckon the 8v will be fast compared to a 1.1 anyway

I dont find it slow anyway, decent engine is known for being reliable so i wouldn't be to bothered about which one to buy. Tbh there isn't a lot to gain out of the 1.6 and 1.4 engines without spending a few hundred for the sake of a few bhp

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Drives
    Astra Twintop 1.8 & Honda Accord
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Another ex 106 owner!

Better off getting the 1.4 16v tbh, the 8v is a little on the slow side I hear

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There's not much difference between the 1.4 and 1.6 8V mate, the 1.4 has always seemed to me to be a little lighter on the foot and more "modern" feeling if that makes sense! But power wise I think there's something like 2BHP in it?!

I've had my 1.4 for nearly 4 years now and it's always been reliable and delivered good economy while still being fun to drive, albeit not insanely quick but then you wouldn't expect a 1.4 to be. A few cheap mods like derestricting the airbox and fitting a higher flow filter make it a little more responsive but won't increase the power. I've also fitted a Remus exhaust which makes a nice sound and, again, improves the throttle response.

Agree with Wiggles too - if you're used to a 1.1 106 then you'll probably be fairly pleased with either tbh
    Europa Blue cabriolet turbo...now with VXR turbo, collins dump valve and a large number of Courtenay hoses

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Dont go down the 8v route, running a family sized car on 8v is a no no! I own a 1.4 16v just like Mathon, lovely perky car mate, cheap tax and cheap insurance, thats why there hard to come buy, i can get a comfortable 40 mpg easily.

Astras are easy to mod mate, start with the free mods like De-restricting the air box!!! FREE!!! panel filters new £30 - £40, second hand £15 - £20, exhaust back box £50 - £60

Easy stuff mate, currently modding mine SLOWLY,

PVS 2010!!! WOOP WOOP!!!

Edys129

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    oh debadged grill £15!! flebay!! also keeps your engine cooler by a few degrees, dependant on the outside temp!

edys129

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    if you go for 1.6 8v in multipoint injection then fine, it will be nippy enough. 1.6 8v in single point is slow (i had one), 1.4 16v is quite a good unit but does need revving quite a bit

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Drives
    Astra Twintop 1.8 & Honda Accord
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by edys129 View Post
    Dont go down the 8v route, running a family sized car on 8v is a no no! I own a 1.4 16v just like Mathon, lovely perky car mate, cheap tax and cheap insurance, thats why there hard to come buy, i can get a comfortable 40 mpg easily.
    1.6 16v matey .

Not a big step up from a 1.4 power wise, but costs alot more in petrol (28mpg for me) and currently costs £190 a year on tax, £215 in April . But the 16v's are very good tbh, bags of power low down and gets even better as you go up through the rev range. In my opinion 16v's are very refined to drive, but the 8v's take a lot of reving to get anything out of them.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah the 1.4 16v is a good perky little engine. Not a rocket ship but is great in and around a city and nippy when the revs are up, not heavy on fuel either. you can pick up the 1.4 16v for a pound a dozen here in Ireland, 90% of Mk4/5 here are 1.4 16v!
    EUROPA BLUE COUPE

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    steve1412 if you go for 1.6 8v in multipoint injection then fine, it will be nippy enough. 1.6 8v in single point is slow (i had one)
    How can i tell the difference? so I can try to make sure i get a multipoint

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast