Thread: For an SRI

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

For an SRI

Hi, just got an SRI, and the stereo is awful, really muddy and horrible, not even up to what I'd expect in a fiat panda or something, haha, anyway, I have an old Blaupunkt MP72 LA which should fit okay, and for 20 quid on ebay I can get an adapter to allow the steering controls to work apparently.

But I will need to change the speakers, is it best to get something full range and forget about the tweeters? I only want to spend £50 max all in, so £30 left for speakers, any suggestions? Obviously don't want it to sound awesome, just back to the sort of sound level I've had in previous cars as standard.

Or failing that, I could leave the stereo in and just change speakers if that will improve it enough, meaning a bit more to spend on them?

Does the stereo need an adapter if I changed it? And also, I have no book with the code for my stereo currently in there, will it stop working once removed/battery disconnected?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    You didn't say what age the car is, chances are the speakers may be knackered.
    Fit a decent set of components in the front, disconnect the rears completely.

Standard stereo uses an ISO plug, so most aftermarket head units should just plug in, all you need to do is swap the red & yellow wires around, as Vauxhall has Permanent & Ignition in opposite to the ISO standard.

You should have got a security pass card (credit card sized) with the car, it has all your security codes for stereo, keys, immobiliser, etc.

It depends on whether the code has been turned off, if it has you won't need it if the battery is disconnected.
    2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's a 2003/52, do you have any recommendation for decent priced speakers?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Have a look at the MTX Road Thunder RTS652, 2 way components for £60.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That's too much really, that's more then I want to spend including the adapter.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    MTX are a very well known speaker/sub/amp manufacturer. http://www.mtxaudio.eu/
    Those speakers are great value for money, you can always make your own speaker mounts from some scrap MDF.

Personally, i'd advise staying away from the likes of Fli, Vibe, Edge, etc. I find them cheap & nasty sounding, very fatiguing to listen to.
    Alpine & Pioneer are decent enough, but their main thing is electronics (Head units/Amps/Screens) these days.
    If you can't stretch to the MTX, then go for the Alpines/Pioneers.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    get alpine speakers cant go wrong