Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uprated Clutch after a Remap? (Recommendations?)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Uprated Clutch after a Remap? (Recommendations?)

I just got my motor remapped. 75bhp to 115+ bhp. I was actually told it is now running at 135bhp according to the clip-on meter, which is only 5% out. No rolling road...just a clip-on for now.
    Anyway, I took it for a test drive after the job and it certainly feels like there is more grunt under the bonnet.
    Unfortunately when I floor it in 3rd/4th/5th gears the engine revs like crazy but with no increase in speed. I was told this is the clutch slipping due to not being able to handle the increased power of the engine.

I can't say I have felt the clutch going before, but I was told that the increased torque after the remap will exaggerate any clutch wear and therefore it is definitely the clutch that needs replacing.
    AFAIK the car has never had a clutch change and the clock now shows 113,000.

1) Would it be sensible to get an uprated clutch to handle the increased torque? Could you recommend a long-life clutch?

2) I taught my wife driving in my car, and she also got a few lessons from an instructor. The instructor said that for manouevres and when edging forward in traffic you can simply put it in first gear and lift the clutch without balancing it with the gas pedal (because it is a diesel) and the car will move forward slowly. I had never heard this before and was a bit sceptical as it looks like this 'technique' would wear the clutch out quicker. Can anyone confirm this either way?

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dean View Post
    2) I taught my wife driving in my car, and she also got a few lessons from an instructor. The instructor said that for manouevres and when edging forward in traffic you can simply put it in first gear and lift the clutch without balancing it with the gas pedal (because it is a diesel) and the car will move forward slowly. I had never heard this before and was a bit sceptical as it looks like this 'technique' would wear the clutch out quicker. Can anyone confirm this either way?
    I quite often do that in the van in traffic etc. Sometimes do it in my car as well (petrol) when in motorway traffic, will just stick it in 1st or 2nd and release the clutch. No need for any revs, will just sit on idle and pull itself along. Not heard that doing it is a bad thing

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Drives
    MK4 Astra SRi-T
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Is yours the Izuzu engine Billy?
    If so, where did you get that remap done....iv been trying to find somewhere that will do a decent one for my derv, and that is astounding!
    Thats an 80% increase in power just from a remap.
    Cheers
    PROJECT STORMMK4 Astra SRi-T Z20LET

Future 500BHP Track monster......

Status
    BUYER BEWARE - WE ADVISE CASH ON COLLECTION ONLY
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_Paradine View Post
    If so, where did you get that remap done....iv been trying to find somewhere that will do a decent one for my derv, and that is astounding!
    Cheers
    no were round here will do it i wouldnt of thought
    unless you go to griffins i think its called in flitwick
    MK4 Astra SRi B204
    Build thread
    Comment thread

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Drives
    MK4 Astra SRi-T
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    They got a website or anything, nath?
    Where abouts in Leighton do you live btw?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I just got my motor remapped. 75bhp to 115+ bhp. I was actually told it is now running at 135bhp according to the clip-on meter, which is only 5% out. No rolling road...just a clip-on for now.
    Anyway, I took it for a test drive after the job and it certainly feels like there is more grunt under the bonnet.
    Unfortunately when I floor it in 3rd/4th/5th gears the engine revs like crazy but with no increase in speed. I was told this is the clutch slipping due to not being able to handle the increased power of the engine.

I can't say I have felt the clutch going before, but I was told that the increased torque after the remap will exaggerate any clutch wear and therefore it is definitely the clutch that needs replacing.

1) Would it be sensible to get an uprated clutch to handle the increased torque? Could you recommend a long-life clutch?

Hi, I am looking to see the bhp after my remap...where did u get yor clip on meter from and how does it work???

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have an 06 1.7 100BHP and it got remapted to 135BHP however 150BHP model does not pull away, so it must be more, but also had induction kit fitted and exaust, so it is hard to beleive youe 75BHP has got to 135BHP

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, doing this a lot in my CDTI (1.7 100 BHP). Didnt notice anything wrong with clutch so far.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_Paradine View Post
    Cheers
    It was from a Celtic Tuning dealer/partner in the Bristol area so essentially all the software is Celtic's.

They can easily remap the 1.7DTi to 115bhp, which was what I expected.
    However after the remap was done the technician said that because I have the newer 'double/dual-ECU' (my words, not his) there are two levels of remap possible from this 'flexible' ECU: lower (115bhp) and higher (135bhp). They remapped to the higher limit, apparently. I'm not complaining.
    And yes, I do have the Isuzu engine.

Quote Originally Posted by adambateman1
    Hi, I am looking to see the bhp after my remap...where did u get yor clip on meter from and how does it work???
    Sorry, what I should have said was that I got the mobile technician service - so the technician came to my place of work, worked on my ECU, and then 'tested' the new remapped bhp with the usual diagnostics type meter. The real test would be on a rolling road, which would cost me another £30...maybe in the near future.
    TBH I am more than happy with 115bhp, but if he has given me more, well the more the merrier

---------------
    Anyway, back to the serious stuff!

Can anyone advise on whether an uprated clutch would be a good thing to do? Any links?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Drives
    MK4 Astra SRi-T
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    You cant go wrong with an uprated clutch, it shouldnt cause any harm.
    I did see an ebay shop selling some for the 1.7 DTi for about £100-150ish?
    Can send you the link if you want?

Did you have any other mods on the car before the map? Or was it standard, mapped to 135?

(Any way of telling if you've got the dual ECU either? Cos 135 brake out of my hatchback sounds tasty )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast