Thread: Help astra is ill :(

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Help astra is ill :(

Hi, cruising on the motorway last night doing about 70-80 ish all of a sudden i heard a pop and lost a bit on power then a horrible noise came from the exhaust then came along the engine management light came flashing for about 5 seconds. Then exhaust note came back to normal and car seemed to run fine few miles later same again with light flashing.

Took the motor for a tech 2 , code came up 4th cylinder misfireing .

Driving the car home engine light gone out and has stayed off since, i am a bit baffiled by this. Could this be anything with the ECU.

Thanks Danny.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Changed the spark plugs lately? Would be first thing to try.

If this isn't it, odds on will be the ignition module / coil pack.

Could also be other things, but more than likely one of the above.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks mate, im going to take it out for another spin see if the light comes back on and my dads just said the same thing, Its got to be the coil pack so hope this sorts it out. first step im going to clean the spark plugs as there prety new.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    How many miles have the plugs done? they can also go faulty well before they are due replacement sometimes, so in such a case i'd strongly advise fitting a new set of plugs being as they are basically just a few quid for a new set!

Personally i wouldn't just point your finger at the coilpack and say thats deffinatly it without further testing, especially as they are hardly a give away price for a new one.

What engine do you have by the way?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Its the 1.6 16v 53 reg mate how menny other things can it be ? then again thinking the plugs have done at least 5000 miles.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Plugs should really still be good at those miles, but you can also get a brand new set of plugs and sometimes one won't work at all, or last 100 miles. Just the way it goes sometimes.

If you had a turbo model, ZLE* series engine then i'd be more suspicious of the coil pack, on your car i'd recommend just swapping the plugs, will more than likely fix your problem. If it does, then the problem re-appears it would more than likely be the coil pack.

Odds on a new set of plugs may see you right though and for the sake of how cheap they are this would be my first call.

Other things it could be... Could quite litterally be many things, plugs, coil pack, wiring, ecu, crankshaft sensor.

Would more than likely be plugs or coilpack though.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for your help dano2ko0.