Thread: The poor quality of BSM teachings these days

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

The poor quality of BSM teachings these days

My brother had 18 hours worth of lessons with Bring Some Money & in that time, i think he performed 1x 3-point turn & no other manoeuvre.

He's now shifted to the AA.

Went to do his driving with the AA & started doing them the way BSM had been teaching him (which we didn't know about)....

signal
    mirror
    manoeuvre

AA bloke asked him why he's insisting on doing it that way. Tells him that's what BSM told him to do. AA bloke says no, if you do that, you'll fail (which is what my instructor said also ---- must be mirror, signal, THEN manoeuvre).

There were other things my brother said made the AA teacher quite poor, but that sticks out to me.

Is it law or what, or just a guide? I've never heard of signal first.

Not only that, the final lesson my brother had with BSM has not been paid for.
    He says they've left him a few messages. Will they eventually track him down for payment or what?

Status
    Bit busy... be back soon!
    Drives
    Astra Coupe 2.2
    Mentioned in
    133 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Follow AndyH On Twitter Add AndyH on Facebook Add AndyH on Google+
    It's always been MSM as long as I've been driving.
    Actively proving that post counts mean jack sh*t since 1971

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yep mirror, signal manoeuvre is what i was taught.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Another thing the BSM guy did was if my brother made a mistake, he'd mutter & mumble to him (instructor to brother) and tut & sigh

Way to give a beginner some confidence tithead!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    haha, that's ridiculous, tutting and sighing, that's what my dad used to do when he was teaching me lol, not my intructor!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    Don't tar all BSM instructors with the same brush mate. My Dad works for them, and has done for several months now. He will only teach a manoeuver when he feels the pupil is ready to learn it. Obviously someone who picks up the main ideas behind driving will be onto manoeuvers quickly, those who are a bit slower then it will take longer. However, I do believe 1 turn in the road in 18 hours doesn't sound right.

BSM/Instructor will be after him for the money, but I expect the Instructor more. Until he pays, the instructor won't get his pay for those 2 hours.

As I said, don't tar them all with the same brush, at the end of the day, its the instructor and the way he has been taught, not the company.
    Astra sold ... replaced with a Skoda ... soon to be replaced with another Vauxhall

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Yeah he said the AA bloke is toooooooootally different. Took him up around the local uni, had him drive about & said he was probably half way to passing & was quite good.

Took him out & did the 7 test routes to get him familiar (different test run as BSM had him doing Preston, but AA is doing Heysham)

Told my brother WHY things needed to be done the way they were being done. EXPLAINED observations - mirror checking, making exaggerated observations so the tester KNOWS you've looked in the mirror, rather than just glancing)

In 18 hours, the BSM guy mentioned theory test twice. The AA bloke discussed theory about 6 times today & asked what my brother was finding hard & talking about revising techniques etc etc

In other words, the AA was an instructor, the BSM chap was a tool.

& he's now going in a Focus against a Fiat 500 & loves the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by mgodden1989 View Post
    As I said, don't tar them all with the same brush, at the end of the day, its the instructor and the way he has been taught, not the company.
    don't get me mistaken, i'm not saying ALL bsm instructors are like this. But these people are hardly a good advertisement for the company.

My g/f had 2 instructors with BSM

1 was like the guy my brother had - someone out for your money

She moved to another guy as >I< told her the first guy was basically taking the piss.

2nd guy was a world of difference & seemed eager to get her passed rather than just having her do endless lessons. there was a goal & progression.

So no, not all BSM instructors are tools, i'd have thought that much would've been clear. Perhaps i worded it poorly.

This guy just does the firm no favours at all. I know they have to pass strict exams, so his teachings must get spotted, unless he just bullshits his students. Who knows.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev_83 View Post
    & he's now going in a Focus against a Fiat 500 & loves the difference.
    Have heard that they won't have the Focus' for much longer! Must admit though, the 500 is a poor choice by BSM - fun to drive, and easy, but not the best to learn in.

So no, not all BSM instructors are tools, i'd have thought that much would've been clear. Perhaps i worded it poorly.
    It was the title of the thread mate, just seemed to be aimed at the company and all instructors as a whole, and not the individual.

& This guy just does the firm no favours at all. I know they have to pass strict exams, so his teachings must get spotted, unless he just bullshits his students. Who knows.
    If your brother feels this guy is not up to scratch, then by all means report him to the DSA (Driving Standards Agency). The guy should also be going for check tests - not sure how often these are, but if they believe he's not up to it then they carry out appropriate actions.
    Astra sold ... replaced with a Skoda ... soon to be replaced with another Vauxhall

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Don't judge a school on one instructor. I learnt with BSM and my instructor was top class.

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    going back quite a few years now I learned with BSM with a variety of different instructors (6th form I was learning in York, at home was learning near Bishop Auckland, then at College was in Warwickshire) and all were very different - the York one was terrible and put me off for a long time, whereas the others were great.

Kirsty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast