Thread: egr valve pros and cons

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

egr valve pros and cons

hello- i am new here. i love my asrta estates- have had 3 now, over 15 years, but am having a problem with this one which needs solving; please could someone tell me the best way to solve an egr problem; i have heard if it causes problems to to block it off, and alternatively to drill a hole in it. what can i expect if i do either of these? which is the best way to deal with the problem? are there any drawbacks to doing either of these things? and which is the best way to solve the problem- it has been cleaned and makes no differance to the cars performance, we are still having gaps in power - fuel starvation???- or is it possible that the problem could be in the exhaust where the burnt fuel is recycled from? thanks for any info.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What is it Mk4-5, 1.3, 1.7, DT, DTI, CDTI etc?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hello. it is a td 1.7 v-reg estate

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If its a GM 8v the EGR system is very simple but if like mine it allowed to sieze oil fills ALL of the vacuum operating system, you need to empty it. This is what I did worked a treat: -

Pump the EGR plunger if oil squirts out it's full and so will the rest of the system clean everything I used crab/brake cleaner and an air line. Dont forget the filter on top of the control module it sits under an oblong plastic cap you just carefully unclip it as well as the small vacuum chamber on the end of the module.

Or it could be yours is still just stuck/seized did you check the plunger was moving?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thank you for your help and advise. i know that the guy who told me about the valve originally, cleaned it up, but i dont know what he did or used. he did say it was sticking. cleaning it up didnt make any differance. the thing that does seem to help it is redex, but my brother has said that is not good to use often, as the engine will get to rely on it ( ? ) i will pass on what you said to my brother- he is going to give car a service at the weekend. ( a bit like he was going to do it last weekend!)