Thread: MK4 1.7td Astra Problem Please help.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

MK4 1.7td Astra Problem Please help.

Right were to begin.

I bought a stolen recovered astra van which had a knackered head. It has the earlier 1.7td (gm engine). I had the engine fully reconditioned with a head from another van and put it all back together. The vans ignition has been wired in a way me or my dad (machanic of over 35 years) seen. Somehow they have by-passed the imobaliser so you can start the van with a non-transponder key.... Now the van takes ages to start any time of the day.....takes about 45 seconds of turning it over till it starts everytime not just at first. Have changed all the glow plugs just in case. The steering has interment failer as well Maybe once in a couple of days. This van is for my wifes florist and we do around 200 miles aday and stop start all day long. Please can someone shed some light on the nightmare of a van i have as its puzzled both me and my dad.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hi there mrperry1984 and welcome to the forum,

Hopefully somone with a similar vehicle or experience will offer some advice. Interesting that they bypassed the immobilzer. If it does start though, I imagine the problem may lie elsewhere.

I would have said glow plugs straight away, but you have replaced them. So I wonder whether there might be a bit of an air leak that it is having to clear each time at start up.

Check the fuel filter to make sure it is full of diesel - there should be no air in there. Its probably just best to have a new filter on hand. Smear the seals with diesel, fill the new filter with diesel, check the fuel line connections and do everything back up again.

I don't think the diesel return lines (leak off tubes between injectors) would necessarily effect startup on a GM 1.7 but check them anyway - you can buy a length of tubing (plus end bung) rather cheap - just pull off the old and push on the new.

I'll see if I can find info on the steering...

Cheers, Paul

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks paul

I have checked the fuel filter and lines and changed the fuel filter as we thought it was draining back, but not the return so i will replace them. We even put a inline pump between the tank and filter to prime the engine but didnt work so we took it off again.

Its really bloody confussing. The really weird thing is once started the van drives lovely. And the worring thing is the amount of times it gets started every day i dont wanna go through batterys and starter motors.

thanks again paul.

regards lee

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    hmmm, as I suspected its got electro-hydrolic steering (unlike my ancient old mk3), so from your description sounds like it could be an intermittent electronic failure in the system somewhere. The only info I could find on the system was about checking the fluid level and bleeding the system.

And generally speaking, considering its colourful history, maybe it would be worth having somebody connect up to the diagnostics port, check for any fault codes and have any old codes cleared.

Cheers, Paul

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    when it takes ages to start sometimes (and only sometimes) the engine mang light does come on... when you plug it in nothing is registered????
    We have had it plugged in a couple of times and there are no codes in the system.

I will check the fluid level but my suspesions are its electrical.....but we dont know where to look and everyone we talk to who has electrical knowledge cant seem to work it out.

i will also change the fuel pipes between the injectors to see if this helps.

Thanks paul

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrparry1984 View Post
    thanks paul

I have checked the fuel filter and lines and changed the fuel filter as we thought it was draining back, but not the return so i will replace them. We even put a inline pump between the tank and filter to prime the engine but didnt work so we took it off again.

Its really bloody confussing. The really weird thing is once started the van drives lovely. And the worring thing is the amount of times it gets started every day i dont wanna go through batterys and starter motors.

thanks again paul.

regards lee
    Hi lee,

Our messages crossed. There was a fellow on another forum who went around in circles, refusing to remove a one-way valve that he installed in the fuel line before the filter. I insisted that it wasn't necessary, could be faulty, was probably a restriction to fuel being drawn up, and could well be the source of his air leak. Took forever for him to finally remove it and geee, guess what, problem was solved.

You really should check the fuel filter yet again after the car has stood for a time, say in the morning. You need to rule that out air in the system as a problem.

Also, are you absolutely certain that you got the correct glow plugs for that engine? No offense - it seems impossible to go wrong there, but I think I have heard of people installing the wrong glow plugs - wrong voltage or something.

And is there really 12 volts getting to the glow plugs? If not it could be the glow plug relay has failed or even just the fuse has blown....

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    im pretty sure about the glow plugs its had two sets in know. The time to start it first time in the morning is exactly the same time when the van has been running for some time.....
    as for fuel i will check the filter again not long had a service and new filter. but no harm in trying again.
    will also check the return and the small pipes between the injectors.

Thanks again

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    That's good info - I guess that doesn't sound like a glow plug issue if the time to start it is the same first thing in the morning or later in the day.

So it sounds more and more like an air leak and I'm thinking you may well find air in the fuel filter. If air can find a way in, it will get in.

By the way, I was curious about your statement that it has the "ealier" GM engine. Do you mean an X17DTL engine from a mk3 was installed in your mk4? Does yours have the older Bosch VE injection pump or is it the electronic injection pump?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yer when we brought the van it had the same 1.7TD (not tdi) as our mk3 astra van. so we changed the head (after having it reconditioned) with the one out of the mk 3. everything else in the engine bay is from the mk4 so as i can remember it has the electronic injection pump.

i will check for the air leak.

thanks again paul

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    when it takes ages to start sometimes (and only sometimes) the engine mang light does come on... when you plug it in nothing is registered????
    We have had it plugged in a couple of times and there are no codes in the system.

I will check the fluid level but my suspesions are its electrical.....but we dont know where to look and everyone we talk to who has electrical knowledge cant seem to work it out.

i will also change the fuel pipes between the injectors to see if this helps.

Thanks paul
    yer when we brought the van it had the same 1.7TD (not tdi) as our mk3 astra van. so we changed the head (after having it reconditioned) with the one out of the mk 3. everything else in the engine bay is from the mk4 so as i can remember it has the electronic injection pump.

i will check for the air leak.

thanks again paul
    I was out for a bit but came back and reread your posts. I see what you mean about thinking it might be something electrical. Seeing the EML flicker and having an electronic fuel pump may be important clues yeah? But no codes stored...

I would still double check the fuel filter for air, but it reminds me of all the posts I've read about faulty solder joints (dry joints) in the ECU or fuel pump EDU.

Just yesterday I was reading about some guy with intermittent troubles (admitedly different problems than yours) and he reported some place on eBayUK that supposedly fixes them for 50 pounds. Others charge more like 200 pounds. Anyway, I wonder if in the end you will have to pay somebody to check out you electronics for such faults....?