Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Smoke out of exhaust and weird noise from engine

Hi,

After previously driving an astra mk4 petrol, I recently switched to a mk5 1.7 '05 diesel due to the 100 mile a day journey to get to and from work.

I dont know much about diesels but I did know that they are noisier than petrols. But i have noticed that the engine makes a deep noise when you put your foot down when accelerating. It doesnt do this all the time. It depends what gear your in and how much you put your foot down. The noise doesnt sound normal. Its a deep, kind of like a vibration. I have also recently noticed that at the same time smoke comes out of the exhaust. How normal is smoke from a diesel exhaust. Eg. When I am travelling on the motorway at 70 miles an hour and change from 5th to 3rd gear ( causes more revving), I notice a smoke in the rear at night when the cars behind have their lights on. It usually causes them to swerve away.

Another small issue is when I start the car from cold, and stand outside, I hear a squeaking noise. I would say something like metal rubbing each other. Its noticeable but not very noticeable. Or maybe something needs a spray of WD 40.

Other than this it does seem to drive ok.

Could someone help me on these issues?

Thanks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    your dropping from 5th to 3rd at 70 mph and wondering why theres smoke?, generally youll get smoke whenever you boot or drop the box in a diesel. as for the smoke in other peoples lights it is more visable when light hits it so erm apart from the squeaking noise all sounds pretty normal from the driving style im guessing you have (pretty much the same as me i love smoking the bugger tailing me )

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by astrasxicdti View Post
    your dropping from 5th to 3rd at 70 mph and wondering why theres smoke?, generally youll get smoke whenever you boot or drop the box in a diesel. as for the smoke in other peoples lights it is more visable when light hits it so erm apart from the squeaking noise all sounds pretty normal from the driving style im guessing you have (pretty much the same as me i love smoking the bugger tailing me )
    Thanks for the reply. Its just that I never noticed this smoke when I used to drive a petrol no matter how much I put my foot down. Good to hear that the smoke is normal. But funny enough, I havent noticed it in other diesel cars around me.

Any thoughts on the noises?

Status
    Yer...I'm nuts!!
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Follow untouchable On Twitter
    Is it a turbo diesel?

If it is, the noise when accelerating could be the turbo kicking in.