Thread: Llambda at upper limit on MOT any thoughts

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Llambda at upper limit on MOT any thoughts

Hey all, my recent MOT showed my Llambda right at the upper limit 1.03 the pass range is 0.97 to 1.03 and on previous MOTs it has been consistently 1.00.

Does this mean anything? Just wondering if I'm likely to need a new CAT etc. for the next one or am I just worrying about nothing...?
    N.b. any opinitons expressed above should be ignored and considered 'ramblings', under no circumstances should they be relied upon...

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    just means that the lambda has got lazy through being clogged up with natural carbon deposits. if the lambda has been on the car a while then it will benefit from being renewed. most respected mechanics will advise changing lambdas every 40k (especially if you do lots of town driving) to keep the cars emissions down and help with general good running

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Super thanks Steve, incidentally, pre cat or post cat llambda??? Oh and I have the kit to read the voltages over the sensors, any ideas what 'normal' is so I can test the readings before I shell out on new ones?
    N.b. any opinitons expressed above should be ignored and considered 'ramblings', under no circumstances should they be relied upon...

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    pre cat sensor mate, it should peak at 0.9v and drop to 0.1v with an average line of 0.45v and this should cycle like this approx 8 times in 10 seconds. if it does then the lambda is healthy, any slower or a variation then it is getting sluggish.