AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Oil from Costco

Hi and hello,

I am obviously a newbie so please be gentle

I have the 1.7 CDTi Astra 100bhp model, I am a little confused as to the engine oil grades at Costco.
    I have read that I need 5w 30 fully synthetic, at costco they sell 5w 30 oil but it doesn't say for diesel, they also do a 10w 40 which says diesel, I know this may seem obvious but, I have also read 5w 30 fully synthetic will work in both petrol and diesel

Please help

I also noticed they do a castrol magnatec 5w 40 I think that doesn't actually say on the bottle type on engine that it is designed for.

Many thanks for your help in advance guys

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I pretty certain if it doesn't say it will be for petrol engines.

Car manufacturers used to say diesel oil was OK in their petrol engines, for people who had fleets, but not the other way around. The way engines and oils have developed over the last few years I wouldn't be surprised if that's no longer the case.
    Black 2.0 DTi SXI Mk 4 3 door

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i wouldnt bother with the 5w30 personally (either from Costco or elsewhere) Ive used their stuff in the past and it was ok but Id just stick with the 10w40 personally

As for compatibility i cant say - all i know is that the oil Vauxhall sell for instance is just "oil" - its used in Petrol and Derv models alike

Im aware the 10w40 at Costco is marked as "Diesel" specific but if the 5w30 stuff isnt marked at all then it should be suitable for both - personally though Id just get 10w40 and tbh the Costco price is about the same as the price from Vauxhall if u get it on trade club scheme (possible when u pay for AOC membership etc)

HTH

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Right ... Oils have changed these days.

Originally it was graded with Weights, 10W/40, 5W/30.

Now it is graded with Addatives too, so the 5W/30 you will put in a Focus wouldnt be suitable for the 5W/30 required in a Golf

You need to check that the oil meets the required specification, check Halfords.com to match your oil and see if its the same as Costco

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Good point. There are different specs for petrol and diesel engines Axxx and Bxxx. According to the handbook there are also A,Bxxx for both but I still reckon if it doesn't say, it's for petrol only.
    Black 2.0 DTi SXI Mk 4 3 door