Thread: Speedo on the fritz!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Speedo on the fritz!

Got a bit of a random problem on my 2003 1.6 8v Astra. After driving it for around 20mins, I go to stop at a junction or pull up at traffic lights and when I go to pull away the speedo won't start working till I do over 20mph. I took it back to the dealers and that plugged the laptop on and they couldn't find any faults. Then it was ok till today. I went to Swindon this morning and on the way home I was coming down the M4 doing 60mph and the speedo just went to 0 and then worked again. When I got back into town I pulled up at a mini roundabout and the engine just cut out. It started again ok, then I pulled up about 10miles later and the engine cut out again so I went to start it and it just would not stay running. I had to keep it at 1500rpm then it was fine all the way home. Any help or info would great. Thanks for looking.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    According to my wiring diagrams the '03 1.6 uses a speed sensor (abs sensor) on the front left hub, feeding a pulse to the speed converter module, which in turn feeds the speedo.
    2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)