Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Car problems after replacement head cylinder...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Car problems after replacement head cylinder...

OK, guys, I need your help, Im losing plot with my coupe. I have a 51 reg 2.2 coupe. The engine is a z22se. Just had it back from garage after having new head cylinder, new thermostat, oil, filter and antifreeze.
    So you would expect it to run better than when I took it to them...WRONG.
    Guy said they had checked faults but none came up but warned me at desk to keep eye on fact when you turn car on you have to dip accelerator or the car struggles to start. Said the head may need to just settle. Also its really rough at idle. My moms 1985 pug idles smoother than my coupe at mo. Driving its fine but at idle which is around 750rpm the car shakes and interior dash lights flicker. Also the dreaded white smoke is back, and lots of it but only at idle.
    Just tried pedal test and all thats happening is engine light stays on and so does the electronically controlled engine cooling light. Also when I took it up motorway the temp gauge dropped to what it is when car is off. Im noticing aswell that if I over rev car my petrol needle literally drops a bit...Ive searched through the forum and basically it seems it could be
    Throttle body
    Battery
    EGR
    Spark plugs
    Coil Pack
    Air box
    Lambda sensor
    Timing chain out
    AFM
    ECU
    MAF
    Idle control valve
    Coolant Temp sensor

I really want to love this car but it just seems to keep going wrong. Would love it if anyone else has solved this problem. Im taking it back to mech tomorrow but would love to have some ideas to help them along way.
    Thanks for reading
    Always late but worth the wait

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    to be honest mate if they need "help along the way" they shouldnt be touching your car.

if any of the following were broke you would have a fault code

Throttle body
    EGR
    Coil Pack
    Lambda sensor
    Timing chain out
    AFM
    ECU
    MAF
    Idle control valve

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Tell me about it, an worrying thing is its a well know national garage. I really dont think its cus the head needs to settle in like the mechanic suggested. Im taking it back tomo so i'll update after trip on what they've said.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    where abouts in birmingham are you mate? if your near cotteridge theres a garage called GRB mechanics. ask for Gordon (the boss) or Allan (my mate) and tell him Ben Havenhand said to come here. hes done a few bits of work on mine when i come and see blues play and cant fault him. knows his stuff. i am biased though as hes a family friend for years! bear in mind if you go there allan will probably tell you your engine (2.2) is gash lol there reasonable on labour too mate.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I used to know Gordon from years ago. he used to work from his home in Bartley Green at the time.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thats right fraggle thats going years back lol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had my Ford Orion at the time. I've still got his blue card somewhere

Status
    Soft Top VTEC :)
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    When JCBtom on here had the head done on his corsa sport, it ran like a sack of spuds for a few days and there was still steam coming out of the back. Put that down to there being coolant in the exhaust system.

After a few days of driving it was fine
    FULL Black Leather Heated coupe interior for sale! 200!!!
    Click Here

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, update:

Yeah Ben, i was up on pershore road in cotteridge. Will try your mate next time. OK so yesterday morn I checked car before using it and almost all coolant gone. We reckoned it was due to airlock. Anyway I rang the garage told um i wasnt happy and he said bring it over and I could have courtesy car. Told him i was only 24 so was I able to drive it. He said aslong as i fully comp yeah. SO after topping up coolant I set off with what looked like my own fog machine at rear of car. Got to garage and he gave me forms to sign and I pointed out the last line that read 'I hereby certify I am between the age of 25 and 70'...:-(

SO bye bye to the Honda Jazz courtesy car and hello to a 30min wait in the garage reception while a mech took a look under bonnet. Basically they reckon throttle body settings have been messed up and they need to reprogramme it but havnt got the software there so his callin me on monday to tell me what day to take it in again.

Also checked car this mo and coolant has dropped a fair bit again. So it must be leakin somewhere? Checking oil and caps everyday, no sign of water getting in tho. So thats where I am at mo.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok mate what garage did you take it too? cuz grb mechanics is on pershore road. right next to a sign shop theres a little alleyway that you can just about fit your car through, thats where my mate works. imm hoping it wasnt their that your car went, as ill be having words with my mate. im pretty sure its not though as you said you went to a nationally known garage. pretty sure they dont do courtesy cars aswell.
    sounds like your burning the coolant so it may be that the gasket aint fitted properly? im no expert as this sort of thing though. keep us updated

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast