Thread: Exhaust Changing?????Please HELP!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow Exhaust Changing?????Please HELP!

I'm switching the full exhaust system back too standard, on a z20let. How easy is this to do? Is it possiable to do on my drive with axle stands etc.

I need to know what tools I need?

.....and a step-by-step walk through guide of the best way to do it?? All the way from the turbo-to-the back box!

Really need some help/advice.....im not a mechanic, but not stupid! lol

MANY THANKS PEOPLE!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well i managed to change the centre section annd backbox on a 1.6 with the two rear wheels on portable ramps. abit of a squeeze but managed eventually. the main trouble i had was to split the center section form the downpipe.
    i ended up butchering the centre section to remove it.
    tools;
    13,14,15 socket and ratchet or spanners (pref deep ones aswell as shallow ones may not reach),
    wd40 or similar to help remove the nuts/bolts,
    hammer (if you dont mind battering things)
    exhause paste for refitting,
    not sure what else...
    maybe huge maul grips or pipe piliers to get a hold of center section pipe to release it,

not sure how the downpipes are to remove but for the others;

get the back end in the air,
    split the backbox from the c/s (14/15mm bolt) unless it's a sleeve type then a 13/14mm? socket for the 'u clamp',
    remove the b/b from the mounting donuts and get it out the way,
    remove the 'u clamp' that fastens the c/c to the downpipe,
    depending on how long it's been attached you may have to take a hammer to the center silencer (if it's got one) to get it free,
    as said i'm not sure on the downpipes so wont go into them
    refitting will be easier to go from front to back of car and depending on what state the donuts,clamps and bolts are in you may need new ones.
    someone should be able to finish this off or be more specific as it's only a quick idea

hope this helps

on another note i got a new c/s+b/b put on my car this morning it cost £98 fitted so i saved myself the hassle of fitting it my self as it cost £70ish +vat for the parts alone

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    £98 thats cheap as chips! lol

Many thanks for that has helped alot, just hunting down all the tools i need now.

Anyone care to extend on McGuinness guide? Specialy about the down pipe, pre-cat bit???

Cheers People

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Alright mate, should have asked while here, the precat is connected to the turbo with a vband clamp, if you look down to the right of the turbo hopefully the clamps been done up in a decent position to be able to undo it (Sometimes peopel decide to have the nut facing the radiator etc) however its just one nut, losen the clamp off and the precat shoudl drop away from the turbo (there is a gasket here, but alot of people prefer to run without gasket), you could bolt the centre section and cat/precat all together before putting on the car, axel stands will be fine. back box will have to be done seperatly, one reason being youll probably only jack the front up, then the back after, but also due to the backbox going over the rear axel very simple job to do yourself, but wouldnt imagine a garage charging anything over £50 doing it all for you

Joe

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joereynolds89 View Post
    .... but wouldnt imagine a garage charging anything over £50 doing it all for you

Joe
    Mine did, .
    Zaffy VXR| RARB | VXRacing 19s in Black |Stage 2丨 Pipercross Open Cone| 7" DVD with Sat Nav |Full Rear Sunblinds | C. Hatch Front Grille | Leds Footwell Lightings |

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers people.....did it today, took about 4hours lol. Sounds a bit boring now haha oh well, it will pas MOT now which was the main reason for swap!

So now I have a 2.5inch custom exhaust for sale in the 'For Sale Section' with pics lol.