Thread: i wouldnt say detail but 1st proper polish? idiot needs help...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i wouldnt say detail but 1st proper polish? idiot needs help...

i am going to be shining up (or at least trying to) my red astra. given it will be its first sight of polish since i have owned it i need some help...

i have available:
    1x can of industrial car polish from about 1978 lying round (old mans stuff from when he was in the trade)
    2x paint renovator from auto sommet or other
    1x srp from the same auto sommet or other
    1x red polish stuff
    enough towels and pads to sink a battleship
    and if i have to buy something a 10 pound note.

i paint renovated and polished our corsa a long time ago and although it looked VERY nice at the time it didnt last very long, so question is, can i put anything ontop of the polish to help it last?
    also, can someone with knowledge tell me what is different from wax to polish? and which is best?
    whilst im here, the inside of my windscreen hasnt been cleaned since i got it either (same with all the glass actually) is there anything that will remove the smears and blobs left from condensation etc? (windolene didnt work )

i should add i dont have any buffer things or machines so will be done by hand. i conceed its going to take a whole weekend but want to get it done.

thanks for the help... need to polish some pounds back into this crate so i can try and sell it in the near future

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SXT View Post
    i paint renovated and polished our corsa a long time ago and although it looked VERY nice at the time it didnt last very long, so question is, can i put anything ontop of the polish to help it last?
    You need a good wax to put on after the polish. Id doesn't matter how good a polish is, if you don't put protection on the top it's not going to last more than a week or two. A good durable wax will last several months, I use Collinite 476s which I rate highly.
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it did only last about a week on the corsa... think during the week my astra was crying cos it saw polish but it didnt get any

buggah tho.. gonna have to go buy some wax now

thanks for the link but can you get any decent waxes from halfrauds? as that is the most local store to me a link would be good cos when it comes to car cleaning i cant tell wood from a fish

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The 'Auto sommet or other' (Auto Glym), do a High Definition wax in Halfords, that's the only decent wax they sell. All these Megs 'waxes' aren't worth the money.

That's what you need. But it'll cost you more than that tenner.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    £40

i would have to shuffle alot of figures round on my spreadsheets to get that to spend on car cleaning or sell my spare red centre console

i might give that collinite stuff a tilt (as its cheaper) still not happy about parting with 15 earth pounds

how many tubs of that will i need to do a whole 3dr hatch?

this leads me to another question... how much do you lot spend on car shiny shiny stuff

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you only need one tub, it will do the car about 100 times, you don't need to plaster it on.

As for how much I spend, I remeber the last count being around the £1200 mark for what I currently have kicking about.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    have a look on ebay too mate, i know that you can get the autogym HD wax at least £10 cheaper than in the shops, no need to spend rediculous amounts on cleaning to get a good finish!
    Silver SRI-Prodrive'd & BBS'd MoFo! - SOLD
    Currently rolling a 1.7cdti MK5 Estate-turbo poooower!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazTD View Post
    you only need one tub, it will do the car about 100 times, you don't need to plaster it on.
    oh right... 1 tub doesnt seem quite so bad i was thinking i would need like 5 cos they are so small

i actually bought a air freshnar and glass cleaner for "the great clean of 2010" as it shall be known

only problem with that is my 10 pound is now down to 7

Quote Originally Posted by jakeharvey63 View Post
    have a look on ebay too mate, i know that you can get the autogym HD wax at least £10 cheaper than in the shops, no need to spend rediculous amounts on cleaning to get a good finish!
    oh right, might keep watching then. would help if i had a bigger budget i guess

thanks for your helps gurus

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i did a bit of spending as i got a bit more money in the pot

not sure if this will be any good? but it sounded ok in its write up and a friend recomended it £25 quid tho not sure i shopped round enough for this but on the website in a link earlier in this thread it was 33 and you can tell it is actually mine as you can see my ghost white hands lol

got these, dunno if they are any good but i managed to get them pretty dam cheap so they will do if anyone can recommend a good window cleaner i would like to know in case this dont work

i had a 00k in the clutter i have and i have auto glym super resin polish.
    not sure if there will be any issues using two different makes for polish and wax???

will be doing the car soon after i have had it bodyshop'd so will jam up some pics if its worthy

thanks for the help everyone!

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Good man. Dodo waxes are the mutt nuts mate, and orange crush is fantastic on red (smells awesome too). Window cleaner is probably the only turtle 'wax' product I'll accept.

Build up about 5 thin layers of the dodo (buff off each time - leave at least 24 hours between coats) and you'll have good UV protection, so the red won't fade. Then your cleaning routine will only be wash, dry and wipe down with some quick detailer and it'll be as good as the day you detailed it.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra