Thread: Fitting New Brake Pipes??

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Fitting New Brake Pipes??

my car (it's an Astra mk4 just in case you were wondering) failed it's MOT yesterday and it states that my N/S front brake pipe is excessively corroded and wondered if anyone has tackled this job before and can tell me how much of a b*****d it's gonna be??

is it gonna be worth me doing it myself of should i just send it into the garage to do?? i'm a hgv mechanic btw so am capable doing this in case you wondered

thanks in advance

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It will be the pipe around the chassis leg i bet,bit of a fidley crap job,you need to be good at pipe bending too and need the tool and a flaring tool and fittings
    "WHATS THE RETAIL ON ONE OF THOSE?" "MORE THAN YOU CAN AFFORD PAL . . . .888

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for the quick reply bud and yeah i can get hold of a flaring tool from an old work mate and the bending should be ok too it's just the fitting it through the holes and what needs to be removed in order to get at the pipes??

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    the near side front is very straightforward, i did mine last year with no real problems encountered, it was the o/s one that was the swine as it routes right across the back of the bulkhead and is a mare to route

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    lol that's the reply i wanted

i'lll have a crack at it tomorrow then maybe.

what/if anything will i have to remove to get to the pipe?? i'm assuming the fuse box for a start??

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    you should be able to access the brake pipe union on the brake bar by the fuse box by just moving the fuse box slightly as i did, just for extra clearance. then route the new pipe down the chassis rail, through the arch and round the backside of strut and down to the flexi pipe. took me an hour or so to do this pipe but nearly 3 hours to do the o/s one, so grease up your o/s one whilst you are at it, because that is one pipe you don't want to have to replace. seen a few Astra's with rotted front pipes due to the shite way they route round the strut, it is a real salt/water trap

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the brake pipe's sorted now,
    in the end i took it to a garage who charged £40 so now just gotta pick it up and send it back in for its re-test

thanks for the info though guys will remember to grease pipes also when i get it back

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just got my car home and thought i'd have a quick look under the bonnet to see what work had been done and luckily i did because the garage never even put the cap back on the brake fluid reservoir!!

fortunately even though i'd taken the bumpy back roads home the cap managed to remain on the plastic next to where the o/s wiper arm appears.

everything seems ok though but you'd have thought that would be something you wouldn't forget if anything!?

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    terrible mate, that is exactly why i do all my own work on mine and my families cars. good job no harm was done

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Found this thread after doing a search yesterday.

Heading off to work the brake warning light came on. I only got the car a couple of weeks ago and had problems opening the bonnet. Found another thread on here about how to move the cable. Having got it sorted I checked all the fluid levels and they were fine.

So. I assumed that the fluid level was fine and it may be the front pads were worn. Did several brake checks throughout the journey and the brakes were absolutely fine.

I meant to check the fluid level before I set off for home at the end of the working day but got sidetracked and forgot.

Checked the brakes a few times on the way home and they were pulling fine and even.

Got to the roundabout just up the hill from where I stay and the pedal went to the floor before it did anything. Thank the lord for dual circuit brakes. Mind you they are very lastminute.com.

Limped home and on checking found the pipe had gone on the passengers side where it bends under the wheel arch. Bit of corrosion there but perhaps a split in the pipe. I couldn't exactly tell due to the poor light.

While I had my head in the wheel arch my future son in law arrived. Tells me his uncle is a mechanic. A few phone calls and I'm fixed up with a tow truck and a repair. 30 quid for the tow truck and 30 quid to replace the brake pipe. I was well chuffed at getting things arranged so quickly on a Friday night and even more chuffed when the tow truck arrived at 1 o'clock this afternoon and I was driving the car up my driveway at a couple of minutes after 3 o'clock with everything sorted.

All done as a favour but if anyone in the Glasgow area needs a similar service let me know and I'll see what I can do.